• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting an Inc4g

flyinjoe

Dec 20, 2012
I'm going to order an Inc4g off ebay because I don't like where phones are heading in the future and my upgrade contract is not up until February. No removable battery, no removable storage, larger screens, etc. Seems the Inc4g might be the last of the type of phone I like because I can add an extended battery, change sdcards, root it, etc. Which brings me to my question.

I know I should look through the root guide in the thread above (and I did), but I am a little confused by all of the different steps and methods listed. I even googled howto and got different methods than what are listed here. Some say do this step, some say don't. Some say register with HTC to unlock, some say don't. I'm not sure what is the best method to follow. I have no problem with following the technical steps. I just need to know which steps are the correct ones to follow now.

I'd like to be able to have root (obviously), S-Off and a custom recovery so I can install ROMs (although I know none are really being developed), delete all of Verizon's bloatware, etc. If someone could tell me which directions from the root guide I should follow (or if there is a better method not listed here), i'd apprecaite it. You don't need to actually type out the directions. Just tell me which root guide directions are correct and I'll take it from there.

Thanks....

If supercid is still possible,I personally would use facepalm. Once you've supercid'ed,facepalm is quick and easy,does not require an ubuntu live cd,and does not risk getting your phone stuck in download mode .

Once you have achieved s off,via facepalm or dirty raccun,the basic steps are:
-install recovery
-use recovery to flash a new Rom,or install a superuser package

Hope that helps :)

Upvote 0
Got the phone yesterday and got it rooted completely. Would like to say it went without a hitch, but I can't. I had some problems mostly of my own doing. There was a point in the facepalm directions were I had to grant superuser rights after one of the commands, but I wasn't seeing the notice because my screen timeout was set for 30 seconds and the screen was off. I wasted an hour trying the steps over and over again until it occurred to me that when you type 'su', you are asking for superuser permission and that has to be granted the first time. What a dolt. All I had to do was turn the phone screen on and hit grant and everything finished fine after that.

bberry,

I know you said you didn't root your phone, but I can't live without it. Not that i'm a huge ROM changing guy, but I have to have the ability to cleanup even the stock ROM. All that wasted space with Verizon\HTC bloatware drives me nuts. Even though I could disable that stuff, I much prefer to get rid of it completely. Plus I can strip out other goofy stuff like the unused ringtone\alarms\notifications, the boot animations and wallpapers, etc. Just makes for a cleaner ROM. You should think about doing it.

It's a nice little phone (perfect size for my small hands) and has more than enough speed for my needs even if it's almost 2 years old now. It's a big step up from my Inc2, that's for sure.. Plus I can still add my own SD Card and extended battery which I can't do on most modern phones. The only downside is I can't find a protective case for it that fits with the extended battery installed. That will be a problem and may force me to use the stock size battery.

Upvote 0
awsome! glad things went(relatively) smoothly :D

i cant live without a rooted phone,either. i have to go a step further,its nearly impossible for me to enjoy a phone thats s on,i dont do alot of rom flashing these days,but i cant stand to be stuck on a particular set of firmware :mad: plus its fun to change out your boring splash screen!

just holler if you have any questions,as you see theres a few of us that try and check in pretty often. :)

Upvote 0
I do have a quick one and it seems to be something that just started since I rooted. When I turn off the phone and plug it in too charge, it automatically boots to recovery. This didn't happen when I first unboxed the phone and plugged it in too charge before I started messing with root. If the phone is on when I plug it in, it doesn't go to recovery, but if it's off, it does.

Is this something normal as a result of unlocking, S-Off and/or rooting? Is it a result of using a certain type of recovery? I am using CW recovery with touchscreen support. These are the only two things i've changed since I got the phone and as I said, this wasn't happening before I did the whole root process.

Just curious because it isn't really a problem. It's just weird and if there is a way to stop it, I would like too.

Upvote 0
I do have a quick one and it seems to be something that just started since I rooted. When I turn off the phone and plug it in too charge, it automatically boots to recovery. This didn't happen when I first unboxed the phone and plugged it in too charge before I started messing with root. If the phone is on when I plug it in, it doesn't go to recovery, but if it's off, it does.

Is this something normal as a result of unlocking, S-Off and/or rooting? Is it a result of using a certain type of recovery? I am using CW recovery with touchscreen support. These are the only two things i've changed since I got the phone and as I said, this wasn't happening before I did the whole root process.

Just curious because it isn't really a problem. It's just weird and if there is a way to stop it, I would like too.

hmm. not sure on that one. might make sure that your fastboot setting is still off(unchecked) but beyond that im not sure if thats a device quirk,or a cwm recovery quirk.

ive never powered a device off to charge it,so if ive had that issue,ive not known it,lol. :p

Reactions: prairiedogn
Upvote 0
Asked about this on XDA and it is a known issue with the Inc4G after rooting that it will boot to recovery when you charge it if you have the power off. No big deal, but i'm glad I found out it's normal so I didn't waste time trying to resolve it.

Finally got my sim card installed and working. Had some issues with a borked radio not connecting to the VZW network from trying different ROMs before the card got here. Had to flash completely back to stock to get it working. Thankfully that didn't require a complete unrooting of the phone. I guess this is another known problem that can come up if you install a CM10 based ROM.

So far I really like this phone. I will miss the lack of ROM support that my older phones had, but I do like the boost in speed of the network and processing over my Inc2. Perfect size for me and with the extened battery, I can play all day and not have to worry about having a charger handy.

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones