• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting for the first time. And I am full of questions.

I have decided I am tired of Sammy's crap and VW's bloat. So, Root here I come. Now, some questions that I have for those that have done this.

Is it easy to unRoot if I need to take the phone in for service?

How exactly do I remove all the bloat crap off my phone?

Will I lose ANY functionality by Rooting (example: Camera, texting, email, that sort of thing.)?

How will Rooting fix some of the issues with the Fascinate? I know that the devs have released the latest update for us, but how do I go about flashing that on?

I want to make sure I do this right. If I am going to void the warranty on this sucker, then I at least want to know that the end of the tunnel is going to give me something close to what I am paying for. Thanks in advance guys, as always.

Gabe

I have decided I am tired of Sammy's crap and VW's bloat. So, Root here I come. Now, some questions that I have for those that have done this.

Is it easy to unRoot if I need to take the phone in for service?
Yes there is a di01 package that can be pushed through odin its a all in one package that removes everything

How exactly do I remove all the bloat crap off my phone?
easiest way is flash a debloated rom

Will I lose ANY functionality by Rooting (example: Camera, texting, email, that sort of thing.)?
No

How will Rooting fix some of the issues with the Fascinate? I know that the devs have released the latest update for us, but how do I go about flashing that on?
This actually can be pushed through odin and you don't have to root. So if your going to do this, I would do it first. So you don't have to root 2 times. But you will lose all of your data and all apps you have downloaded, but if you have paid ones you can get them back.

I want to make sure I do this right. If I am going to void the warranty on this sucker, then I at least want to know that the end of the tunnel is going to give me something close to what I am paying for. Thanks in advance guys, as always.

Gabe[/QUOTE]

After rooting you need to install clockwork if you want to install custom roms, kernels, or themes.

Upvote 0
odin is a computer program that is used to push files to our phone as for the rom I will link it when you get to that step. Its best to take one step at a time

I am rooted!!

Checked to make sure and downloaded the Superuser.apk

Found a link for the Superclean 0.9 rom, downloading that now.

Now the hunt for this odin idea.

Upvote 0
OK but superclean is a dj05 rom

Are you suggesting to stay away from it then?

At this junction, I feel like I have accomplished something, but know damn well I have just scratched the surface. Nothing has been flashed to my phone, nothing has been changed. I am rooted, but where to go from here I have no clue...

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
What all did you do?

I followed the directions. I downloaded Clockwork. Ran the Rom Manager as the directions said. For some reason, it started formatting the cache and data. At least that is what it said on the black screen in the rom manager. Then green text came up asking if I wanted to reboot. So I said yeah. It rebooted, and now I am looking at my phone just the same as it came out of the box... No contacts, no pictures, no music, nothing...

Except the Superuser app...

Upvote 0
I followed the directions. I downloaded Clockwork. Ran the Rom Manager as the directions said. For some reason, it started formatting the cache and data. At least that is what it said on the black screen in the rom manager. Then green text came up asking if I wanted to reboot. So I said yeah. It rebooted, and now I am looking at my phone just the same as it came out of the box... No contacts, no pictures, no music, nothing...

Except the Superuser app...

ALL of my contacts are gone. It saved Zero numbers. I just lost numbers I do not have copies of... I blame Samsung for this...

Upvote 0
Damn I didnt realize you were going to go do it all. I thought you were going to d/l files then push clockwork and let me know. Thats why the part on the page says you can cold boot into clockwork. That way you don't lose data from rom manager. if you had any paid apps you can get them back they are linked to your google acct. I know it sucks I've accidentally wiped data during rom install but its to late now. Did you have your contacts saved to phone or did you save them as google contacts?

Upvote 0
Damn I didnt realize you were going to go do it all. I thought you were going to d/l files then push clockwork and let me know. Thats why the part on the page says you can cold boot into clockwork. That way you don't lose data from rom manager. if you had any paid apps you can get them back they are linked to your google acct. I know it sucks I've accidentally wiped data during rom install but its to late now. Did you have your contacts saved to phone or did you save them as google contacts?

Scary version...

Phone.

No backups either. Lesson learned there...

*sigh* Damn you Samsung.

Upvote 0
I think this is going to be a project best left for a fresh mind and a full stomach. So, I will pick it back up in the morning. The good news is that I have looked online and know exactly where I went wrong. My phone did a backup which created an "update.zip" that Rom Manager loaded... that backup was the default for my phone. The factory stock if you will.

Second lesson learned... Samsung is communist technology.

Upvote 0
I think this is going to be a project best left for a fresh mind and a full stomach. So, I will pick it back up in the morning. The good news is that I have looked online and know exactly where I went wrong. My phone did a backup which created an "update.zip" that Rom Manager loaded... that backup was the default for my phone. The factory stock if you will.

Second lesson learned... Samsung is communist technology.

Sounds good to me bud, I'm about to fall out but I was going to stick it out if you wanted to. But I think your making the best decision to do it more awake and alert. So see you tomorrow.

Upvote 0
WEll Gabe I'll wish you good luck for tomorrow. However, please note that your losing data was your own doing and not Samsung's fault per se. Yes I agree that root in necessary and yes its verizons fault the system needs to be de-bloated. Your unfortunate oversight was when you flashed the rom in RM you must have selected wipe data and cache because Im pretty sure they are not enabled by default.
This is not a slam mind you as I did it myself once as I think did david and almost anyone in here. Its a good lesson to reinforce however that much like a carpenter says measure twice cut once. Its highly advisable to read and ask questions where you are certain you know the answer prior to jumping into semi-uncharted waters.
I hope it comes thru that Im not trying to kick you while you are down but just the opposite. Make sure you have every necessary file in place tomorrow and also triple check that you are following precise instructions.
So moving forward Id certainly recommend having Titanium Back Up in the arsenal as well as Root Explorer.
Good Luck

Upvote 0
WEll Gabe I'll wish you good luck for tomorrow. However, please note that your losing data was your own doing and not Samsung's fault per se. Yes I agree that root in necessary and yes its verizons fault the system needs to be de-bloated. Your unfortunate oversight was when you flashed the rom in RM you must have selected wipe data and cache because Im pretty sure they are not enabled by default.
This is not a slam mind you as I did it myself once as I think did david and almost anyone in here. Its a good lesson to reinforce however that much like a carpenter says measure twice cut once. Its highly advisable to read and ask questions where you are certain you know the answer prior to jumping into semi-uncharted waters.
I hope it comes thru that Im not trying to kick you while you are down but just the opposite. Make sure you have every necessary file in place tomorrow and also triple check that you are following precise instructions.
So moving forward Id certainly recommend having Titanium Back Up in the arsenal as well as Root Explorer.
Good Luck

I went out to a really late dinner/early breakfast with my wife, and while there I got to looking at the phone and some of the steps that I took. I totally agree that I must have accidentally hit it to clear everything, as it seems too out of the norm to just happen. I think it is an adventure that I am going to dedicate serious time to in order to make sure that everything is correct and I have all the files that I need.

I have Odin, I have Clock Work, the drivers are installed and ready, I am ready to rock and roll I think. The only thing I am missing is the ROM I want to run when all is said and done. In this department I am open to suggestions from other more experienced individuals. I want the bloat gone, and the freedom to tether, Better performance would be fantastic. Is there a way to remove specific items from a ROM build? For instance, getting rid of VW Navigator, but keeping VW Tones?

As a side note... I cannot tell you how much I have been waiting to get rid of City ID...

Again, thanks guys, and I look forward to getting this working right, and I definitely see this as a learning experience. It may not be Samsung's fault, but it really makes me feel better to blame it on them.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones