• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rooting Galaxy S2 - Dummies Guide

I just went to the download link which takes me to a file sharing site. Click on download button and file to download is "Do you want to run or save Siyah-s2-v6.0b5.tar.exe(1.28Mb) from groupsetzipmyjob.org?

the file listed at the top of the page to download is the tar file but clicking on the download button its an exe file.

this isn't the first time I've downloaded files so go there and see if its happening to you. TIA.

EDIT; just tried this with chrome it worked fine, some reason which I don't know why but IE downloads it with an .exe extension.

Upvote 0
First time rooting and I've hit upon a problem - Can't find the corresponding kernel as mine is:
3.0.31-1155691
se.infra@SEP-91 #3
SMP PREEMPT Mon Apr 22 17:18:49 KST 2013

Any help much appreciated, thanks!

Oh yeah I'm on Android version 4.1.2 and my Baseband version is I9100DDLS9

So I'd be looking for the LS9 kernel? But I can't find one that is even closely related to it

Last edited:
Upvote 0
First time rooting and I've hit upon a problem - Can't find the corresponding kernel as mine is:
3.0.31-1155691
se.infra@SEP-91 #3
SMP PREEMPT Mon Apr 22 17:18:49 KST 2013

Any help much appreciated, thanks!

Oh yeah I'm on Android version 4.1.2 and my Baseband version is I9100DDLS9

So I'd be looking for the LS9 kernel? But I can't find one that is even closely related to it

See #1.8

Upvote 0
#2.4. Step 4.

In Odin click the Start button and you should see a green progress bar above ID:COM and shortly after that the box above it will turn green with the word PASS! in it and your phone will automatically reboot.

#2.5. Should you encounter any problems with booting automatically at this stage, put your phone into Recovery mode by turning it off completely and then press and hold the following buttons... Volume Up + Home (centre hard key) + (lastly) Power. Continue to hold these buttons until your phone boots into the Recovery screen. See video. Then select, "wipe cache partition", and under, "Advanced", "wipe dalvik cache", and then, "Go back", and select, "reboot system now". Your phone should now boot up.

Congratulations! You have just rooted your Samsung Galaxy S2.

Hi Ironass,

Hopefully you are still here to help me, as i see this post was years ago, and this is my 1st trial to root a hp.
I just tried to root my Samsung galaxy S2, i've done #2.4 with Siyah-s2-v6.0b5 and Odin indicate PASS in green.
<ID:0/004> Initialzation..
<ID:0/004> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/004> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/004> zImage
<ID:0/004> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/004> RQT_CLOSE !!
<ID:0/004> RES OK !!
<ID:0/004> Completed..
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 1 / failed 0)
<ID:0/004> Removed!!

However my hp was not reboot, it just stand still at "Samsung Galaxy SII..."..
Now i am unable to turn on my S2 neither recovery mode, only can go into downloading mode but it cant help even though i flash with different .tar file.
Please help me...

Upvote 0
#2.4. Step 4.

In Odin click the Start button and you should see a green progress bar above ID:COM and shortly after that the box above it will turn green with the word PASS! in it and your phone will automatically reboot.

#2.5. Should you encounter any problems with booting automatically at this stage, put your phone into Recovery mode by turning it off completely and then press and hold the following buttons... Volume Up + Home (centre hard key) + (lastly) Power. Continue to hold these buttons until your phone boots into the Recovery screen. See video. Then select, "wipe cache partition", and under, "Advanced", "wipe dalvik cache", and then, "Go back", and select, "reboot system now". Your phone should now boot up.

Congratulations! You have just rooted your Samsung Galaxy S2.

Hi Ironass,

Hopefully you are still here to help me, as i see this post was years ago, and this is my 1st trial to root a hp.
I just tried to root my Samsung galaxy S2, i've done #2.4 with Siyah-s2-v6.0b5 and Odin indicate PASS in green.
<ID:0/004> Completed..

However my hp was not reboot, it just stand still at "Samsung Galaxy SII..."..
Now i am unable to turn on my S2 neither recovery mode, only can go into downloading mode but it cant help even though i flash with different .tar file.
Please help me...

Hello and welcome to Android Forums ChunHorng :)

Sorry to learn that you having problems rooting your Samsung Galaxy S2.

First of all, can you post your, "Version", details as per #2.0 of the guide.

Secondly, as it may be me being stupid, what is the, "hp", you keep referring to in your post?

Upvote 0
Hello and welcome to Android Forums ChunHorng :)

Sorry to learn that you having problems rooting your Samsung Galaxy S2.

First of all, can you post your, "Version", details as per #2.0 of the guide.

Secondly, as it may be me being stupid, what is the, "hp", you keep referring to in your post?

Hi , i am having the same problem, i just updated my S2 via kies to version 4.1.2 JB, and Im sorry but i didnt do #2.0 as stated. but this is what happened at Odin
<ID:0/004> Added!!
<ID:0/004> Odin v.3 engine (ID:4)..
<ID:0/004> File analysis..
<ID:0/004> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/004> Remain Port .... 0

Stucked at Boot logo, tried going to download mode and flashed Siyah s2 v6.0b4.tar but same results. Details about my device should be this ;
  • Device Name : Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100G
  • Device Model : GT-I9100G
  • Date Update : 2013-04-08
  • Region Code : XME
  • Region Country : Malaysia
  • Firmware Version : I9100GDXLS8
  • OS Name : Jelly Bean
  • OS Version : 4.1.2
  • Change List : 1002531
  • Hits : 3080

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi , i am having the same problem, i just updated my S2 via kies to version 4.1.2 JB, and Im sorry but i didnt do #2.0 as stated. but this is what happened at Odin
<ID:0/004> Added!!
<ID:0/004> Odin v.3 engine (ID:4)..
<ID:0/004> File analysis..
<ID:0/004> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/004> Remain Port .... 0

Stucked at Boot logo, tried going to download mode and flashed Siyah s2 v6.0b4.tar but same results

Hello and welcome to Android Forums Julius T :)

Could you please post your,"Version", details as per my previous post.

Upvote 0
Hello and welcome to Android Forums Julius T :)

Could you please post your,"Version", details as per my previous post.

Upvote 0

As per post #1...

(*** The Dummies Guide can also be used to root the, "GT-i9100G", on Gingerbread, (only), providing you use the root kernels mentioned in post #2, here)

You cannot root the, "G", variant on Jelly Bean, using this guide. I suggest you flash your stock Samsung firmware and fnd an alternative method of rooting.

Upvote 0
Reactions: matty52
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones