• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting my Reverb

dryheavy

Lurker
May 28, 2014
I have a Galaxy Reverb that I have been trying to root for about a week now. I used the Ministro/Poot method. I have tried about 5 different times to root and get the same message. It says in Poot that permission is denied, a demon has materialized, code 18 and that the su binary was not written.

I updated to Jelly Bean two months ago, before I even knew what root was.

Please, what am I doing wrong?

P.S. If you need more information just ask. I will do my best to supply it. All I ask is that someone with a rooted Galaxy Reverb help me because it sucks being this close and not knowing what to do next.

Its because you are in Linux and the drivers weren't installed properly... I've had no success in Linux only Windows which is why I always dual boot (I also game on my PC so its kinda necessary to have windows) I wish it worked in Linux but for some reason it doesn't... Maybe if we could find a driver for Linux it'd work

Upvote 0
I had no luck with Odin or its Linux equivalent, jOdin. Download safeboot.apk. After trying a lot of different stuff, it rooted my OTA JB Reverb in a second.

That's what I did too, previous to messing around in the wonderful land of custom recoveries and the like. For some reason, I couldn't get anything else to work in terms of getting root access. This did it very nicely indeed.

Can't for the life of me find it again, however. I'm terrible at that sort of thing.

Upvote 0
Ok I'm just your typical cell phone user so I don't have a single clue of all this rooting vocabulary but I did manage to deduce that JB means Jellybean which is referring to the android version 4.1.2 (am I right). So far I tried the poot root attempt, which didn't work, and now I came across the "Odin" route. I'm too scared to attempt it because the steps don't make any sense and I learned what the term "Bricked" means, so I was wondering could any of you, kind sirs, make a guide-through video or a more explicit guide?:D

Upvote 0
Ok I'm just your typical cell phone user so I don't have a single clue of all this rooting vocabulary but I did manage to deduce that JB means Jellybean which is referring to the android version 4.1.2 (am I right). So far I tried the poot root attempt, which didn't work, and now I came across the "Odin" route. I'm too scared to attempt it because the steps don't make any sense and I learned what the term "Bricked" means, so I was wondering could any of you, kind sirs, make a guide-through video or a more explicit guide?:D

The thorough tutorial:

1. Find safeboot.apk (I just can't for the life of me find a link to it, I lost it 2. when I wiped previous to my first flash)
3. Run it.
4. Enjoy Root.
5. ???
7. PROFIT!!!

In my personal case, I ran the app and then restarted. Using a rootchecker, I checked to see if I had root (it said that I didn't).

Waited 15 minutes and restarted again, rootchecker came back with a positive response.

Don't ask why. I dunno. But I'm tinkering now. :]

Upvote 0
The thorough tutorial:

1. Find safeboot.apk (I just can't for the life of me find a link to it, I lost it 2. when I wiped previous to my first flash)
3. Run it.
4. Enjoy Root.
5. ???
7. PROFIT!!!

In my personal case, I ran the app and then restarted. Using a rootchecker, I checked to see if I had root (it said that I didn't).

Waited 15 minutes and restarted again, rootchecker came back with a positive response.

Don't ask why. I dunno. But I'm tinkering now. :]

Sweet! Thanks man! I just need to find the app and I should be able to root. Can you tell me what keywords I should type to find this "safeboot.apk" app?:eek:

Upvote 0
The Odin mode is pretty harmless if you're using a good recovery. My TWRP and mrg666's CWM are fine afterwards its easy to simply pop in a root zip and BAM! Rooted... When trying the Odin method use a windows based PC or it will not work properly (I don't believe that wine or a virtual machine will work) I believe you can get a dvd of a live windows XP which should work nicely. Also if you need any help feel free to PM me on here or on Google hangouts at mathmcclintic@yahoo.com

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones