• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting Questions

I'm new to this and have been reading loads of very helpful posts on the subject but I still have some basic questions:

Difference between rooting and just debranding/reflashing?
Will an Orange branded phone need SIM-unlocking first?
Hboot is 0.83 - do I need a Gold Card?
What's the best source for the new ROM/firmware? - I like the HTC stuff as it is, and want to keep Sense.
In which case, should I flash generic HTC Android 2.1 and then do the official Froyo OTA?

Thanks in advance
Mark

Hi Mark,

Rooting gives you root access, in other words Super user access (Admin rights) Debranding removes your network / carriers corporate brand off the phone (splash screens etc)

It won't Need to be unlocked I don't think, but it will still be locked even after rooting

If youre phone is branded, you will need a goldcard unless you use the Unrevoked method.

You could do a generic, but I'm all for custom roms. MoDaCo R8 is very close to stock 2.2, but faster and more stable. I always recommend this to first time rooters. There are many other recommendations that may follow from other members though.

Reactions: markfireblade97
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones