• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting, ROM + Kernel questions? Please help.

sinnovations

Feb 10, 2011
Hello guys.

I'm sure the majority of you get sick of seeing people with no clue on how to do stuff on their Android phones, and I apologize in advance, but I used to be an iPhone user before swapping over and becoming a Droid, however, O2 in the UK are awful, and they don't update the handsets, I'm still on 2.2 Froyo, instead of 2.2.1 or even 2.3 Gingerbread.

I'm looking to the possibility of getting a capable Gingerbread ROM onto my phone, but I have absolutely no clue how to do it, don't get me wrong, I look on the XDA forums on quite a regular basis, and I'm aware of Darky's ROM, and the rest, however, I look at the HOW TO posts explaining how to get it onto your phone, and some of them are unbelievably basic, and for a start off user using an Android phone wanting to get the best out of it, but not knowing how to do the majority of things such as Rooting, and Flashing, it's impossible to understand the majority of the posts on this forum.

I used to jailbreak all the time, but that was easy compared to this, some may say Droid's are easier to do, but I disagree, if anybody has any tips, or step-by-step up to date guides on how to get a ROM/kernel etc onto my phone, or make it quicker, or quite frankly anything, as my phone is unbelievably laggy, it would be MUCH appreciated.

Many Thanks in advance.

Reactions: sinnovations
Upvote 0
Darkys 9.5 is absolutly amazing i recommed that highly! anything with darkys name on it is gonna be amazing;) im not sure what i9000 varition you havee so here are a few links:
Gingerbread:[GUIDE] Installing Darkys v10 Pre-Final (FAQ's updated daily) | Darky's ROM

9.5 edition(amazing):[GUIDE] Installing Darky's ROM on 2.2/2.2.1 (I9000/I9000M only) | Darky's ROM

Right, okay, I'm assuming the first link isn't as stable as the second, so I'd go with the second, step by step guide is great, is there anything else I need to do, to get that on my phone other than that guide?

Also, what's the pro/cons of it?

Upvote 0
Havent really found any cons yet! its practally perfect. there is no lag..WHATSOEVER. you get the abilty to to change boot anamation in minutes, voodoo lagfix, root, its all there! once its all flashed the modem that cam with the rom might not work in your area so just google one for your area: )

I'm with you on everything so far and I'm going to go through that walk through guide on how to install it, but just to clarify, going through that list will root, lagfix, and sort everything?

Also, the modem thing I'm confused by now. :p

Upvote 0
just go through with the rom flash and if your phone cant get any signal then let me know and ill find you a modem! and yes it wil fix all of those thing and sort your phone right out

Cheers, I'll get it done tomorrow and re-post if any issues.

If it helps, here's my current phone info:

Firmware 2.2

Baseband I9000ADJP3

Kernel 2.6.32.9 root@SE-S608 #1

Build Number FROYO-ADJP6

Does that tell you anything about whether I'll have issues with signal/3G?

Upvote 0
Its hard to tell because i dont know the band numbers. Flash the rom and if you cant get service then click on the "modems link in my signature and download the JP3 one(your current modem) and put it on your internal sd. boot into recovery,install zip,choose zip, and flash that modem and you will be set: ) let me know if you have any issues

Upvote 0
Its hard to tell because i dont know the band numbers. Flash the rom and if you cant get service then click on the "modems link in my signature and download the JP3 one(your current modem) and put it on your internal sd. boot into recovery,install zip,choose zip, and flash that modem and you will be set: ) let me know if you have any issues

Well. DONE. Thanks EVER so much mate, really appreciate it. Darky's ROM running like a DREAAAAM on my Galaxy S. Absolutely amazing, thanks again.

Upvote 0
Heyya guys.,
Can anyone help me with a complete guide for installing Darkys V9.5(I think thats the best and most stable)Plz guys i need a complete one.!
My phone is currently:

Firmware Version
Baseband version
I9000DDJP2

Kernel Version
root@SE-S605#1
Build Number
FROYO.DDJP6
Thnkz!

Man take a second to read ! i posted a link in this very topic!

Reactions: sarahsunshine
Upvote 0
Anyone here know how to get darky's 9.5 rom on a galaxy s vibrant T959? Goal is to have a working Honeycomb =P Right now I have bionix from teamwhiskey and i think the kernel is k47+voodoo. When I look at about phone it just says 2.6.32.9 so idk wtf is going on there. I can find the voodoo files in root explorer. Anyone mind helping a noob out?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones