Rooting samsung galaxy s4 please help

1. Amylee3130

Amylee3130 Well-Known Member

Hi

im wanting to root my s4 im on

model I9505
    XXUBMGA

i want to make sure i use the right one and is there a way i can do it without using kies and also i used philz on my s3 is there the same for s4 as i found this very useful.

thanks in advance x

Advertisement
  2. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin' Moderator

Moved to the International Galaxy S4 Root forum.
  3. ironass

ironass Well-Known Member

Hi Amylee3130!

Look no further than the sticky at the top of this forum, entitled, http://androidforums.com/internatio...t/732797-rooting-galaxy-s4-dummies-guide.html

The first 4 posts are a step-by-step guide, with pictures and videos, for absolute beginners to Android, rooting and the Samsung Galaxy S4.

Please take the time to read through it, carefully and thoroughly, as it will answer most, if not all, of your questions.

The guide uses Odin and does include full instructions for installing PhilZ Recovery.

Grab a coffee, or something stronger, and away you go!
  4. Amylee3130

the link isnt working :( x
  5. ironass

6. Hawker

Hawker Well-Known Member

That's because our resident octogenarian is a whiz at everything Android, but seeing him on a computer is about as natural as seeing an ashtray on a motorbike.

Rooting Galaxy S4 - Dummies Guide

(it's the sticky on the top of this All Things Root forum)

Edit:
    Ninja'd
    :car:
  7. Amylee3130

ive rooted my phone and install philz but when i try to open the rom manager my phone isnt on the list? have i done something wrong x
  8. ironass

Touch > Recovery Setup > Install or update recovery > Go to the bottom of the list... Device not listed above > Press Yes at the i9505 prompt.

That's the 2nd time today! Not too shabby for an octogenarian. ;)
  9. Amylee3130

it warns me not to do that will it be ok? x
  10. Amylee3130

well in the rom manager? is that right..it wont boot into recover and bring philz up? x
  11. Hawker

Hawker Well-Known Member

The clocks are slow in Wales butty.
  12. Amylee3130

it says clockwor mod does not officially support gt I9505
  13. Amylee3130

and have i installed clockworkmod based recovery manually x
  14. ironass

Providing you have installed PhilZ correctly and you chose the correct options in ROM manager that I mentioned in my last post, INSTALL OR UPDATE RECOVERY, you will be fine.
  15. ironass

I'll give you that old son... most of them are still showing the early 1930's! :rofl:
  16. Amylee3130

when i go to device not listed....it says the above about I9505 not officially supported and i have i installed one manually...yes or no...if i press no its says sorry its not available for my device if i say yes its askin me to press clockworkmod 2.x or clockwordmod 3.x+? help please x
  17. Amylee3130

i installed philz tar usin odin but it wont go into it when i press up home n power x
  18. ironass

Select 3.x+ and you will be told that, "ROM Manager has been set up to use your existing recovery installation"
  19. Amylee3130

ok ive done that but when i try to go into philz but pressin volume up power and home button it says something in blue at top left and then turns off? x
  20. Amylee3130

it says recovery status i think but just turns of i dunno what ive done x
  21. ironass

What happens if you select, "Reboot into Recovery", in ROM Manager?
  22. Amylee3130

yes it lets me do that..strange. how can i do a nandroid back up now then? is it backup to external? also i want a way i can save everything on my phone that i can access if i lose my phone if possible?. thanks for help means alot x
  23. Amylee3130

its bootin now by up power and home i just need help with the rest. thank you soooooooooo much x
  24. ironass

There is a knack in rebooting into Recovery manually. I would recommend doing a nandroid, (saved to external SD card as per the Dummies Guide), and then copying it to your PC and/or uploading it to DropBox.

To do a nandroid in ROM Manager, select, "Backup Current ROM".
    Amylee3130 likes this.
  25. Sydney99

Sydney99 Well-Known Member

Ok, tried to answer a question without looking on page 2 and setting it had already been answered!