• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting? What would I gain?

The Wagster

Apr 27, 2010
Howdy all,

I'm just got myself an Atrix moving from an HTC Hero. I rooted the Hero early on as HTC took an age to update to Eclair. For me rooting was a no brainer. I got Eclair months before the official update and had Froyo and Gingerbread running long after HTC had stopped caring about my little Hero!

So now I'm wondering if it's worth rooting my Atrix. I have the official UK Gingerbread update. Ice Cream Sandwich isn't yet working on the Atrix so it's not like I can jump ahead of Motorola's efforts!

What custom ROMs are there - I've seen Cyanogen Mod 7 (which I ran on the Hero) and there's the MIUI Rom that I've heard good things about but no specifics. Are there any others?

I have the Work and Play kit so I don't want to lose that functionality. Do any of the custom ROMs retain the Webdock thingy?

Thanks for your advice.

Cheers

Wag

Howdy all,

I'm just got myself an Atrix moving from an HTC Hero. I rooted the Hero early on as HTC took an age to update to Eclair. For me rooting was a no brainer. I got Eclair months before the official update and had Froyo and Gingerbread running long after HTC had stopped caring about my little Hero!

So now I'm wondering if it's worth rooting my Atrix. I have the official UK Gingerbread update. Ice Cream Sandwich isn't yet working on the Atrix so it's not like I can jump ahead of Motorola's efforts!

What custom ROMs are there - I've seen Cyanogen Mod 7 (which I ran on the Hero) and there's the MIUI Rom that I've heard good things about but no specifics. Are there any others?

I have the Work and Play kit so I don't want to lose that functionality. Do any of the custom ROMs retain the Webdock thingy?

Thanks for your advice.

Cheers

Wag

About the only thing you will gain is wifi tethering.

Reactions: The Wagster
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones