• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

S-off while in the fastboot menu

Samueli

Lurker
Feb 4, 2020
Hi,
Is there a way to s-off a HTC one M8 device while in the fastboot usb.
I was trying to flash the device but ended up stacking at the logo. I decided to fastboot flash recovery and then fastboot boot. This resulted in a situation where if I reboot the phone, it displays the HTC logo and then goes back to the fastboot menu. I want to s-off so that I can flash everything because I tend to think I loaded a boot.img which is incompatible with the soft.

*** UNLOCKED***
M8_UL_CA PVT SHIP S_ON
HBOOT-3.19.0.0000
RADIO-1.2.214500021.12G
OS-6.12.401.4

Hi,
Is there a way to s-off a HTC one M8 device while in the fastboot usb.
I was trying to flash the device but ended up stacking at the logo. I decided to fastboot flash recovery and then fastboot boot. This resulted in a situation where if I reboot the phone, it displays the HTC logo and then goes back to the fastboot menu. I want to s-off so that I can flash everything because I tend to think I loaded a boot.img which is incompatible with the soft.

*** UNLOCKED***
M8_UL_CA PVT SHIP S_ON
HBOOT-3.19.0.0000
RADIO-1.2.214500021.12G
OS-6.12.401.4

The device won't power off. When I power of it still goes back to the fastboot mode

Upvote 0
Been a few years since I did this type of thing with an HTC, and never with an M8, so I don't know the S-Off tools for that (which sometimes depend on the firmware version anyway).

Can you get into recovery? If not that might mean you flashed the wrong recovery rather than the wrong boot.img (why were you flashing that anyway? Was this a magisk install?). Conversely if you can get into recovery you can use that to flash a new ROM (use a computer to copy on to the SD card or use adb while in the recovery).

If youscan't get into recovery the simplest option might be to relock the bootloader then flash an ruu. S-Off will let you flash ruu for a different cid or an older firmware version, but it will also let you flash one from an incompatible M8 version so you need to take care if you go that way.

Reactions: MrJavi and ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones