• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help S-Pen not writing on the whole screen

rlx

Lurker
Aug 24, 2012
Hi, I would be curious to know if anyone had this problem. I got the Note4 at the end of August and it worked perfectly well until this morning when I noticed that the pen didn't write in a narrow vertical band on the right of the screen. I was using Autodesk Sketchbook.

At first, I tried other apps and I found out that I didn't get the problem when using the Samsung notepad. Switching back to Sketchbook it worked fine at first but I lost writing in that same column after a few minutes. Now, I can no longer write in that column.

After googling for this problem, I found someone having a similar problem and he writes that the connector of the backplate needs to be disconnected/reconnected. That could be a poor contact in the connector and playing with it restores the connection.

So my question is how many people here had that problem? I am a bit surprised that this kind of problem develops in a high end product. I am still more surprised since the pen itself failed one month ago.

I put the Note4 in a freezer for a while and tried again but that did not restore the failed contact (put the phone in a plastic bag while it is warming after taking it out of the freezer otherwise water condensation might get into the phone).

(Edit) Turning the phone on and off didn't help. However, removing the battery and installing again did the trick. I have recovered writing on the whole screen.

Last edited:

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones