• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help S3 loses 75% of power in 35 minutes

It isn't your battery, it's the 4.3 code I think... and it's random. It is happening to my brother on Verizon and me on ATT we both have S3s on 4.3.

I have tried battery pulls and flushing the cache, it doesn't seem to help.

I am hoping the kitkat code fixes it.... I am wondering if it would be worth rooting and flashing my phone.

Whattt??

Upvote 0
It isn't your battery, it's the 4.3 code I think... and it's random. It is happening to my brother on Verizon and me on ATT we both have S3s on 4.3.

I have tried battery pulls and flushing the cache, it doesn't seem to help.

I am hoping the kitkat code fixes it.... I am wondering if it would be worth rooting and flashing my phone.

Thank you, that must be it. The only other thing I can fathom is if:

1. The power strip I charge my phone on is no longer working well, but that's a long shot. I usually charge it the rest of the way at my work.
2. My phone no longer accurately reads the battery, and therefore stops charging when it shouldn't (which may be a problem of the new update)

Luckily, once I plug it back in it re-charges correctly. Before I put in a new battery it would take 12 hours or recharge, at least it doesn't do that anymore!

Upvote 0
What dont you understand? By "code" he means "firmware", by "flushing" he means "wiping". pretty easy to understand unless youre being petty ;)

Yep, thanks funky. I wrote it up really quick so my terminology wasn't perfect. :)

1. The power strip I charge my phone on is no longer working well, but that's a long shot. I usually charge it the rest of the way at my work.
2. My phone no longer accurately reads the battery, and therefore stops charging when it shouldn't (which may be a problem of the new update)

Luckily, once I plug it back in it re-charges correctly. Before I put in a new battery it would take 12 hours or recharge, at least it doesn't do that anymore!

Yea, that's the other weird thing.. sometimes the recharge takes a really long time... So it's almost like it reads the battery as full (as you suggested), but since it is still plugged in it is taking some of the charge?

I don't really get it, but the issue started with 4.3.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0

WOW!!! What a weird situation you have on your hands. After reading the entire thread, it really sounds like a software issue. This may be a silly option, but have you considered doing a full wipe/clean install of the firmware. It sounds as if you have some funky code going on behind the scenes causing communication errors and code loops that force your device to work all the time...methinks...I could be entirely wrong, but every now and then, software will install itself "weird-like" occasionally.

From what I can tell, it does not seem like a battery issue at all especially if you replaced your device with a new battery. If you are patiently waiting for your phone to discharge to calibrate it, then you would be patient enough to reinstall the software. I would recommend a new install of the OS just to make sure everything is "planted" where it needs to go, code wise that is.

Just a suggestion since your situation is really unique...it may help. But I could be wrong. Be sure to do a backup beforehand.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones