• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root S3 Mini (ATT SM-G730A)-- which rooting methods work?

Steveww48

Feb 4, 2011
I've just purchased an unlocked S3 Mini that is ATT-branded, Model SM-G730A, running Android 4.2.2 . Which rooting methods will work on this phone? The S3 Mini rooting discussions I've seen all refer to one of the i8190 or i8200 variants, which is not what I have. Does that matter?

Also, I've seen some references to rooting methods that have originated in China (or elsewhere) with insinuations that some or all of these will indeed root the phone but also engage in malware-related actions such as storing one's phone info on a foreign server. Of course I don't know if these statements are true but I want to stay away from anything that does engage in these sorts of behaviors.

In particular will Saferoot work on my SM-G730A? If so, is that considered to be truly "safe" and free of malware actions? If not Saferoot, can someone provide recommendations for this specific phone model? Thanks.

I've just purchased an unlocked S3 Mini that is ATT-branded, Model SM-G730A, running Android 4.2.2 . Which rooting methods will work on this phone? The S3 Mini rooting discussions I've seen all refer to one of the i8190 or i8200 variants, which is not what I have. Does that matter?

Also, I've seen some references to rooting methods that have originated in China (or elsewhere) with insinuations that some or all of these will indeed root the phone but also engage in malware-related actions such as storing one's phone info on a foreign server. Of course I don't know if these statements are true but I want to stay away from anything that does engage in these sorts of behaviors.

In particular will Saferoot work on my SM-G730A? If so, is that considered to be truly "safe" and free of malware actions? If not Saferoot, can someone provide recommendations for this specific phone model? Thanks.

UPDATE: My phone is now running Android 4.4.2

Still looking for advice regarding rooting? Anyone?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones