• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root S3 ruu

Thanks to agentc13 for his excellent posts above to root the HTC One S (S3). I am immensely grateful.

I am now for waiting for a stable JB release for htc One S (S3)
In the meantime I see that HTC has released a new RUU for Asia.
RUU_VILLEC2_U_ICS_40_hTC_Asia_WWE_1.11.707.112_Radio_16.12.20.02U_16.05.20.16_M2_release_264458_signed.exe 497435KB 87 2013-01-04 17:31:41

I have a rooted S3 with the following settings:
s-on
Locale: en_HK
Android Version: 4.0.3
Bootloader: 2.09.0001
Hardware: villec2
Brand: htc_asia_hk
Radio: unknown

Would it be a good idea for me to install this RUU or will it be included in new ROMs?

I understand that I have to lock the bootloader back up if I was to do this install. Is that right?

Any advise would be appreciated.

You CANNOT install that RUU as it's made for "Asia" devices only ! [and frequency bands]
Try finding a RUU for your location !
-get "CID GETTER" from Play store and try finding one that supports your CID.

After finding one, you have to format the system/data/cache partitions and "erase data/factory reset" from recovery !
Why all this ? >> it's a chance that the RUU will not install correctly if you do not do these steps !

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones