• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help S5 is turning itself off the minute i put it down and screen times out

xtrempickup

Lurker
Dec 19, 2014
Verizon just rolled out an update to android 4.4.4 in my area yesterday and i updated my galaxy s5. i didnt see any great improvements, i was hoping lollipop would be out already as they were saying it would be december. well today its started acting up. the phone functions fine but the second i put it down and the screen times out the phone shuts itself off and wont come back on unless i remove the battery and reinsert it in the phone and power it back on. Any ideas? anybody else experience the same problem? i have been looking online and dont seem to find anyone with the same issue, just similar ones and i tried the glazed battery terminal fix already to no avail. the system seems to be lagging at restart as the batter saving logo takes some time to come on and the alarm clock doesnt show immediately. I cant get the phone to factory reset, the circle spins like the hourglass on a pc but it never goes through or completes.

Last edited:
Two S5s in my house, my personal S5 and a brand new S5 for the wife which just arrived on Friday morning. And of course, it being the new baby in the house, it is getting a lot of attention :)

When I registered it with Verizon, VZW forced it to accept the new update that was released a couple days ago. (on my S5, it gave the option to say 'no'.)

I allowed it to update because there was nothing on her's except for factory apps. I wanted to see if there was anything noticeable and at this point, I have not been able to note any appearance or operation changes.

Part of that release was a fix for VPN issues and a couple of other things.

For your phone, glad that a FR did fix it up, even if you had to do it remotely. Curious though, did you already have the phone registered with Samsung and Google+, and if so, did you use one of those to do the reset? I have mine registered with both, and I also have Kies 3.0 backups made with both S5 phones.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Verizon Galaxy S5 since Launch Day, using ART
Box Stock, not rooted 4.4.4
Nova Prime, Textra, Blue Mail
MacroDroid senses Scrn off=Wifi & Data OFF,
senses Scrn on=WiFi & Data ON

Upvote 0
I used a google app Device Manager from play store that makes it possible to reset the phone or locate it in case it goes missing or is stolen
That is good, and that is the best reason there is to make sure we register our phones with both Google+ and Samsung's Device Manager service.

Thanks for reporting that, it will help future folks who are searching for a way out of their problems.

Upvote 0
I have tied a Neck Strap to my phone's case. That thing is about 18 inches long and I can usually spot that strap dangling out underneath pillows, magazines, down in the side of my recliner, etc....

And it has the positive benefit of going around your neck or hand. I carry my phone in my shirt pocket and the neck strap prevents it from ever sliding out and getting lost.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones