• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung Galaxy A51 alarm not working when phone is off

Hi!II have a Samsung Galaxy A51 phone.At night I normally switch it off while sleeping.I usually set the phone to wake me up early morning but when I set the alarm using default Clock app phone,the alarm doesnt ring early in the morning and phone is still off.Alarm works when phone is on but not while off.

How can I resolve this?

@Dannydet and @ ocnbrze

I dont understand why Samsung phone has this problem.I have a Tecno phone and the alarm works when phone is completely off.

1 minute before the alarm time,the Tecno phone switches itself on then the alarm rings at alarm time.

are you sure that it is really off? they might have some mode to keep it in like hibernation but not off. i have yet to find any phone that can just turn it self on when it it is completely off. like i said off is off.

Upvote 0
@Dannydet and @ ocnbrze

I dont understand why Samsung phone has this problem.I have a Tecno phone and the alarm works when phone is completely off.

1 minute before the alarm time,the Tecno phone switches itself on then the alarm rings at alarm time.

Some phones have this feature, but not Samsung devices. I had Oppo phones where I could set a time for it to come on. Basically the phone is not truly off, it's running in a low power standby state, that appears to be off.

This is a system feature that a manufacturer might bake in their firmware and hardware. And I'm pretty sure can't be done with just an app.

Upvote 0
are you sure that it is really off? they might have some mode to keep it in like hibernation but not off. i have yet to find any phone that can just turn it self on when it it is completely off. like i said off is off.

Well I click power off before I sleep so I assume the phone goes completely off then it switches itself on 1 minute before alarm time next morning

Upvote 0
Some phones have this feature, but not Samsung devices. I had Oppo phones where I could set a time for it to come on. Basically the phone is not truly off, it's running in a low power standby state, that appears to be off.

This is a system feature that a manufacturer might bake in their firmware and hardware. And I'm pretty sure can't be done with just an app.

Well if Samsung cant operate like Tecno phones this is a major problem.I assume its good practice to switch off your phone for several hours periodically to save on battery life and also prolong the life of the phone.I switch off my Tecno phone when I am sleeping at night so that it cools off and I am 98% sure nobody would be calling me during late night hours so wise to just turn it off.Its my friend who has a Samsung phone and I assumed he could set an alarm switch it off and the alarm would go on during the morning.So does this mean for him to use the Samsung phone for morning waking alarm he needs to keep the phone on during sleeping night hours?Doesnt that in the long term reduce battery and phone life?

Upvote 0
Well I click power off before I sleep so I assume the phone goes completely off then it switches itself on 1 minute before alarm time next morning

^^^^this^^^^

Reactions: Dannydet and mikedt
Upvote 0
Well if Samsung cant operate like Tecno phones this is a major problem.I assume its good practice to switch off your phone for several hours periodically to save on battery life and also prolong the life of the phone.

I've not heard anything like that.

I switch off my Tecno phone when I am sleeping at night so that it cools off and I am 98% sure nobody would be calling me during late night hours so wise to just turn it off.Its my friend who has a Samsung phone and I assumed he could set an alarm switch it off and the alarm would go on during the morning.So does this mean for him to use the Samsung phone for morning waking alarm he needs to keep the phone on during sleeping night hours?Doesnt that in the long term reduce battery and phone life?

You could put it in flight mode, that will definitely save some power during the night, and the alarm will still sound in the morning.

Myself, I put my phone on charge before going to bed, and when I wake up it's fully charged ready for the next day.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As with @mikedt lMy two Xiaomi phones and I think my 2018 Nokia and 2019 Moto E6 can ring the alarm when off. I thought all phones could do that. I've had several Motorola and Samsung models in the past, but not certain of that feature I don't normally use.

Attachments

• IMG_20221016_130733.jpg
    IMG_20221016_130733.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 94
Upvote 0
As with @mikedt lMy two Xiaomi phones and I think my 2018 Nokia and 2019 Moto E6 can ring the alarm when off. I thought all phones could do that. I've had several Motorola and Samsung models in the past, but not certain of that feature I don't normally use.

I have never seen that on any device at all!

Are you sure about the e6, because I am on one right now and it does not have this capability.

Until now I did not believe that it existed.

Upvote 0
@puppykickr
I wasn't sure at the time of posting if my older Moto and Nokia back home could ring while off. I thought it was the norm. They cannot ring when off.

Both my Xiaomi can. See screenshot of the Poco F2 previously and the Mi 10 Lite 5G below.

It's not a feature I generally use, but I was fairly sure some of my previous phones could do this.

Maybe it is confined to Xiaomi.

The higher end Poco has a Poco Launcher but otherwise the UI is almost the same as the Mi 10 Lite 5G (both 2020)

I had noticed before the E6 you have has a very different UI (from a manual) as well as very different specs from my European Moto E6 Plus.

BTW the clock and alarm Settings are identical on my Nokia and E6, but I guess that's not surprising being fairly stock.

https://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_e6-9682.php

https://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_e6_plus-9831.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
@puppykickr
I wasn't sure at the time of posting if my older Moto and Nokia back home could ring while off. I thought it was the norm. They cannot ring when off.

Both my Xiaomi can. See screenshot of the Poco F2 previously and the Mi 10 Lite 5G below.

It's not a feature I generally use, but I was fairly sure some of my previous phones could do this.

Maybe it is confined to Xiaomi.

The higher end Poco has a Poco Launcher but otherwise the UI is almost the same as the Mi 10 Lite 5G (both 2020)

I had noticed before the E6 you have has a very different UI (from a manual) as well as very different specs from my European Moto E6 Plus.

BTW the clock and alarm Settings are identical on my Nokia and E6, but I guess that's not surprising being fairly stock.

https://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_e6-9682.php

https://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_e6_plus-9831.php
However bView attachment 164198 View attachment 164199 View attachment 164200 View attachment 164201 View attachment 164202 View attachment 164203

I did not realize that you have a foreign (to me) version of the e6.

Also, mine is a carrier locked version.

But I use a very different launcher and I also disable many things that most folks can/will not.
This has always been a wi-fi only device for me, and has never latched onto a tower for service.

As of now, I am using it mostly for music in the car.
It was for a time my primary wi-fi device.
It is small and lightweight, so is better for long term laying in bed while holding it in the hand.

But the original battery is swelled now. I purchased a replacement over the summer and its date of manufacture is earlier than the old one, lol.
So this thing is on borrowed time.
Music sounds nice with it, it is easy to see and use, and I will be sorry when it does finally crap out.

To be honest, I wish that this was my carry around device rather than what I do use for that.

Upvote 0
I did not realize that you have a foreign (to me) version of the e6.

Also, mine is a carrier locked version.

But I use a very different launcher and I also disable many things that most folks can/will not.
This has always been a wi-fi only device for me, and has never latched onto a tower for service.

As of now, I am using it mostly for music in the car.
It was for a time my primary wi-fi device.
It is small and lightweight, so is better for long term laying in bed while holding it in the hand.

But the original battery is swelled now. I purchased a replacement over the summer and its date of manufacture is earlier than the old one, lol.
So this thing is on borrowed time.
Music sounds nice with it, it is easy to see and use, and I will be sorry when it does finally crap out.

To be honest, I wish that this was my carry around device rather than what I do use for that.

I agree music through the headphone jack at any rate was excellent on mine (ok different soc etc). I bought this for a reduced stock £79 new in box at a click and collect chain. I had to send my Nokia to Hungary with DHL (I probably told you this before when I was someone else!) under a 2 year warranty for a new usb c port that had warped, and came back with a circuit board thingy also attaching the port to the motherboard.

The battery on my E6+ (same 3000 mah) is showing as like new (96% with the Accubattery I keep on this one). I leave it on all the time for receiving calls to a second number. If I hadn't bought a top spec Poco with 2020's top chip SD865 and a great OLED screen for £294 6 months later, I wouldn't have known any better and been happy with my E6 Plus (I think).
New (apparently) genuine batteries are still only about £7 here from various sites.

I like the way the back clips on around the sides, the weight and size, and I get a new Bing screensaver every day on this one and it's really impressive for an IPS 720p screen. The supplied tinted case is also excellent.
Man, I feel like I'm writing an erotic story! I'm getting hot :thinking: :eek:

Ultimately the loading times, switching speeds, pin sharp color accurate screen etc has me loving the Poco more, though it feels twice as heavy at 220gms.

Motorola are starting to make good mid range and high end phones again (Edge 30 series) where I don't think their budget models competed on price since the G6 - G8's.

If when I win the lottery I'm going to try a whole bunch of budget devices that I think should be great for the money, give most of them away, keep one or two and also pick one flagship out of 5 or 6 from a shortlist.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones