• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung Galaxy A7(2018) stuck at Android Recovery after booting!!

Oct 8, 2022
Hello esteemed Members!

Today when I attempted to reboot my Samsung Galaxy A7(2018), the screen got stuck at Android Recovery. Now the technicians at the Samsung Support have advised for factory reset. The problem with factory reset/ wiping data is that I will lose all the important app data as well as other data stored in the internal memory of the phone. I want a way to exit the Android Recovery without losing all the data or want to somehow backup all the data before attempting a factory reset.

Please help!! Any help from the experts will be much appreciated.

Model: Samsung Galaxy A7 (2018) SM-A750FZKHINS
SM-A750F/DS
(stock android 10/ not Rooted/modified) 20221008_212523.jpg 20221008_212348.jpg 20221008_212512.jpg

there are partitions(sections) on your phone where it is separated into your android os and data. have you followed directions that is in your recovery mode? did you try the erase data function? it only deletes the app data configurations. this is not your app data. it should boot into safe mode. this prevents 3rd party apps from running. but you will have a working phone and most likely be able to backup your apps data among other things on your phone.

Upvote 0
there are partitions(sections) on your phone where it is separated into your android os and data. have you followed directions that is in your recovery mode? did you try the erase data function? it only deletes the app data configurations. this is not your app data. it should boot into safe mode. this prevents 3rd party apps from running. but you will have a working phone and most likely be able to backup your apps data among other things on your phone.
thank you. So should I go for "erase app data" option?

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
thank you. So should I go for "erase app data" option?
according to what recovery is saying....yes.

to be honest i have not seen a samsung recovery do that. but that is what recovery mode is for. if you selected erase data, it should boot up into safe mode, and you should have control over your phone and be able to backup or copy data on your phone.

Reactions: Devils_Advokat
Upvote 0
according to what recovery is saying....yes.

to be honest i have not seen a samsung recovery do that. but that is what recovery mode is for. if you selected erase data, it should boot up into safe mode, and you should have control over your phone and be able to backup or copy data on your phone.
Thanks. I'll give it a try definitely.

Upvote 0
I got to that screen by choosing the option "view rescue logs" from the second screen shot.
erase app data did not bring any change.
so you could not boot up after selecting erase app data? what do you mean by that it did not bring any change? what happened? nothing? same error? bootloop?

Upvote 0
Hello esteemed Members!
Today when I attempted to reboot my Samsung Galaxy A7(2018), the screen got stuck at Android Recovery. Now the technicians at the Samsung Support have advised for factory reset. The problem with factory reset/ wiping data is that I will lose all the important app data as well as other data stored in the internal memory of the phone. I want a way to exit the Android Recovery without losing all the data or want to somehow backup all the data before attempting a factory reset.
Please help!! Any help from the experts will be much appreciated.
Model: Samsung Galaxy A7 (2018) SM-A750FZKHINS
SM-A750F/DS
(stock android 10/ not Rooted/modified)View attachment 164118 View attachment 164119 View attachment 164120

Hopefully it's not too late and you haven't inadvertently and possibly unnecessarily deleted any more data from your ailing A7. You should at least try to retain as data as you can, but it is going to be a bit of an involved task. And just so you can visualize in your head how your phone's internal storage is set up, this might make it more clear about what you should try to accomplish.
-- The internal storage media in your phone is divided up into several partitions. Most of them are dedicated solely to the Android operating system and one of them is set aside to be used only as a general user data partition. Those system-level partitions are restricted and protected, only used for the operating system while that user data partition is where all your files, apps you install, and all that other miscellaneous config files and such.
-- With your A7 apparently being stuck in a boot loop, that's an indicator something is wrong with the installed Android operating system. Typically, when you start up your phone the boot process involves a quick check all the necessary hardware is functional, then the Android operating system gets uploaded (from those system partitions) into RAM, along with some app pre-loads, and then the screen should be showing your Home page. But, as an example, if the operating system gets corrupted in some way than the boot process gets messed up. With Samsung phones there are the Recovery and the Download Modes, neither of which are part of the running operating system on your phone. Both are more or less firmware that are only active when either the operating system isn't functional or you intentionally use the specified buttons to enable one or the other (i.e. Simultaneously start the phone while simultaneously holding down the Power, Home, and Volume Up buttons for Recovery Mode or the Power, Home, and Volume Down buttons for Download Mode.)
-- Since the Samsung techs told you to try a Factory Reset, that's a conditional suggestion at best. As you're apparently already aware, it will definitely delete your data, but keep in mind that a Factory Reset is solve your problem if it's due to something in that user data partition. It's really, really important to take into consideration that a Factory Reset does only one thing, it wipes the user data partition clean. It does not do anything the installed Android operating system. Again, only that user data partition is involved, the system partitions are not affected at all. So a Factory Reset may or may not solve the problem but it will definitely delete your saved data.

It's not definitive but a more likely issue is something is wrong with the installed Android OS. In that case, you will need to flash your A7 with the appropriate stock ROM. Flashing a ROM (a.k.a.firmware) on an Android device is essentially the same as using a Restore disc/media to reinstall a clean OS on a Windows PC. Note that Android ROMs are very device specific so it's vital you use the ROM that's specifically for your model. ROMs are not interchangeable. Go here and select the appropriate ROM for your A7:
https://www.sammobile.com/samsung/galaxy-a7-2018/firmware/#SM-A750F
Be sure to pick the correct one for your phone (matching model I.D. and country, and carrier if specified). In the download page of the one you selected there's an Instructions section on the right side of the page, Read through it carefully and just follow the directions, step-by-step. Quick summery is you need to download a ROM, install a Samsung driver on a Win PC, install the Odin utility, connect your phone to your PC and boot it up into its Download Mode, and then use the Odin utility to do the flashing process.
This will re-install a clean version of the Android operating system, and under normal conditions only writes to the system partitions leaving the user data partition unaffected and as is.

Upvote 0
Hopefully it's not too late and you haven't inadvertently and possibly unnecessarily deleted any more data from your ailing A7. You should at least try to retain as data as you can, but it is going to be a bit of an involved task. And just so you can visualize in your head how your phone's internal storage is set up, this might make it more clear about what you should try to accomplish.
-- The internal storage media in your phone is divided up into several partitions. Most of them are dedicated solely to the Android operating system and one of them is set aside to be used only as a general user data partition. Those system-level partitions are restricted and protected, only used for the operating system while that user data partition is where all your files, apps you install, and all that other miscellaneous config files and such.
-- With your A7 apparently being stuck in a boot loop, that's an indicator something is wrong with the installed Android operating system. Typically, when you start up your phone the boot process involves a quick check all the necessary hardware is functional, then the Android operating system gets uploaded (from those system partitions) into RAM, along with some app pre-loads, and then the screen should be showing your Home page. But, as an example, if the operating system gets corrupted in some way than the boot process gets messed up. With Samsung phones there are the Recovery and the Download Modes, neither of which are part of the running operating system on your phone. Both are more or less firmware that are only active when either the operating system isn't functional or you intentionally use the specified buttons to enable one or the other (i.e. Simultaneously start the phone while simultaneously holding down the Power, Home, and Volume Up buttons for Recovery Mode or the Power, Home, and Volume Down buttons for Download Mode.)
-- Since the Samsung techs told you to try a Factory Reset, that's a conditional suggestion at best. As you're apparently already aware, it will definitely delete your data, but keep in mind that a Factory Reset is solve your problem if it's due to something in that user data partition. It's really, really important to take into consideration that a Factory Reset does only one thing, it wipes the user data partition clean. It does not do anything the installed Android operating system. Again, only that user data partition is involved, the system partitions are not affected at all. So a Factory Reset may or may not solve the problem but it will definitely delete your saved data.

It's not definitive but a more likely issue is something is wrong with the installed Android OS. In that case, you will need to flash your A7 with the appropriate stock ROM. Flashing a ROM (a.k.a.firmware) on an Android device is essentially the same as using a Restore disc/media to reinstall a clean OS on a Windows PC. Note that Android ROMs are very device specific so it's vital you use the ROM that's specifically for your model. ROMs are not interchangeable. Go here and select the appropriate ROM for your A7:
https://www.sammobile.com/samsung/galaxy-a7-2018/firmware/#SM-A750F
Be sure to pick the correct one for your phone (matching model I.D. and country, and carrier if specified). In the download page of the one you selected there's an Instructions section on the right side of the page, Read through it carefully and just follow the directions, step-by-step. Quick summery is you need to download a ROM, install a Samsung driver on a Win PC, install the Odin utility, connect your phone to your PC and boot it up into its Download Mode, and then use the Odin utility to do the flashing process.
This will re-install a clean version of the Android operating system, and under normal conditions only writes to the system partitions leaving the user data partition unaffected and as is.

Thank you so much for such a detailed reply. I agree with everything you have stated. You are absolutely correct that flashing the ROM should solve the issue. I the only thing is that while flashing, multiple YouTubers have suggested that flashing with the Home CSC file and not the CSC file should help in preserving the data. Do you agree?

Upvote 0
Thank you so much for such a detailed reply. I agree with everything you have stated. You are absolutely correct that flashing the ROM should solve the issue. I the only thing is that while flashing, multiple YouTubers have suggested that flashing with the Home CSC file and not the CSC file should help in preserving the data. Do you agree?

Yes, opt for Home CSC.
Home CSC will just write the firmware to the system partitions, leaving the user data partition as is -- your saved data including apps you installed and their config data. (...so you might occasionally run into some quirky behavior with some random, pre-installed system apps that might have stored app options/preferences in both a system-level folder and in the user data partition.)
CSC will write the firmware to the system partitions and will do a Factory Reset.

Upvote 0
Yes, opt for Home CSC.
Home CSC will just write the firmware to the system partitions, leaving the user data partition as is -- your saved data including apps you installed and their config data. (...so you might occasionally run into some quirky behavior with some random, pre-installed system apps that might have stored app options/preferences in both a system-level folder and in the user data partition.)
CSC will write the firmware to the system partitions and will do a Factory Reset.

I followed all the steps as advised, including choosing the Home CSC file over the CSC file. But unfortunately nothing happened. for a split second you can see a screen saying "erasing" but after that the phone reboots and after 4-5 mins, returns to the Android Recovery Mode.

Attachments

• Odin.mp4
    3.5 MB · Views: 88
Upvote 0
Post the actual text of the Odin log, that will be much more informative than a mp4 video that isn't showing anything relevant. The log will show the entire flashing process in detail.

this is the Odin log

<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/014> Added!!
<ID:0/014> Odin engine v(ID:3.1301)..
<ID:0/014> File analysis..
<ID:0/014> skip file list for home binary
<ID:0/014> param.bin
<ID:0/014> userdata.img
<ID:0/014> Home Binary Download
<ID:0/014> Total Binary size: 4430 M
<ID:0/014> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/014> Initialzation..
<ID:0/014> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/014> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/014> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/014> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/014> sboot.bin
<ID:0/014> cm.bin
<ID:0/014> boot.img
<ID:0/014> recovery.img
<ID:0/014> system.img
<ID:0/014> vendor.img
<ID:0/014> modem.bin
<ID:0/014> Transmission Complete..
<ID:0/014> Now Writing.. Please wait about 2 minutes
<ID:0/014> Receive Response from boot-loader
<ID:0/014> modem_debug.bin
<ID:0/014> Transmission Complete..
<ID:0/014> Now Writing.. Please wait about 2 minutes
<ID:0/014> Receive Response from boot-loader
<ID:0/014> cache.img
<ID:0/014> odm.img
<ID:0/014> hidden.img
<ID:0/014> RQT_CLOSE !!
<ID:0/014> RES OK !!
<ID:0/014> Removed!!
<ID:0/014> Remain Port .... 0
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 1 / failed 0)
<ID:0/009> Added!!

Upvote 0
So the flashing process apparently worked out, no error messages. But since you're still stuck in a boot loop into Recovery Mode, than the problem doesn't appear to be an Android OS issue. That's good and bad -- the good part is there's still a good chance your data is still retained within the internal storage (if something like the chip failed, writing the new firmware would show errors). The bad part is still not being able to actually access that data.
I'm out of ideas on this, it's not a thing that's readily fixable via an online help forum. Hopefully someone else will chime in with suggestions but otherwise I'd suggest taking your phone to local, trusted phone service facility. This is likely to be more of a hands-on task.

Upvote 0
So the flashing process apparently worked out, no error messages. But since you're still stuck in a boot loop into Recovery Mode, than the problem doesn't appear to be an Android OS issue. That's good and bad -- the good part is there's still a good chance your data is still retained within the internal storage (if something like the chip failed, writing the new firmware would show errors). The bad part is still not being able to actually access that data.
I'm out of ideas on this, it's not a thing that's readily fixable via an online help forum. Hopefully someone else will chime in with suggestions but otherwise I'd suggest taking your phone to local, trusted phone service facility. This is likely to be more of a hands-on task.

yes the data appears to be intact. When I hit the "repair the apps" option from the Recovery Menu, it shows all the apps in the phone being optimized like it is done after an OTA update meaning thereby the internal storage is alright. It is just that the phone gets stuck in the Recovery Mode.

Upvote 0
Try using that 'Wipe system cache' option in the Recovery menu, and see if that makes a difference.
I don't think it will fix this boot loop problem but it's at least trying. It will only take a few seconds to clear the system cache, and it won't affect any of your saved data and things. (Cache data are just temporary working files apps and services use and then discard.)
Don't be surprised if nothing happens when you select it though, starting with Android 10 or so Google has been dropping the system cache being stored within its own partition to be just a directory in one of the system partitions, and the change is being implemented gradually.

Upvote 0
Do you know if usb debugging has been enabled on your phone? If so, I wonder if fastboot commands will work out not. I'm on my phone so is not easy to provide links right now. But simple Google search should show you how to setup a computer and phone for fastboot commands.

However if you do not know if you do or not, then mostly likely you do not. If you do not than fastboot well not work.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones