• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung Galaxy Ring?

The_Chief

Accept no imitations!
  • Nov 17, 2009
    Manchester, Tennessee
    I dunno, Samsung is staying very, very quiet about this prospective competitor to the Oura Ring... but apparently an app icon has been spotted so it's possible that this smart ring will be announced along with the S24 series on January 17th.

I don't wear any jewelry during the night, so it would be a trick to get used to it tracking my sleep. As long as it will send data to Google Fit instead of Samsung Health, though, I think there's a huge market for a device like that.

What are your thoughts on the rumored Galaxy Ring?

Reactions: ocnbrze
    do you mean this????

LOL

or this:

depending on the price, i might be interested. i hate wearing a watch to bed, so this might be a more viable option for me to monitor my sleep.

• Haha
    Reactions: The_Chief
    Upvote 0
    I don't think the Boost Mobile phone, which looks like an Envy Touch from over a decade ago, is what I'm looking for LOL but the Galaxy (finger) Ring has potential. Hopefully it will be available in different finishes... since I'm sort of a gold guy, I'd like one for my right hand that matches my wedding ring (diamonds are unnecessary)

Last edited:
    Reactions: ocnbrze
    Upvote 0
    What do those rings even do? All I noticed was something at a demo in Best Buy that looked like it was going to jam pins into your finger and make you part of the Matrix, kinda creeped me out. I've seen folks wear them, but they also wear Galaxy/Apple/Pixel Watches, so I can't imagine the ring being a simple heart-rate sensor since why have the watch then?

I watch far too much dystopian Sci Fi. But I do find those movies a warning for always wanting the latest smart tech. Be careful what you wish for.

Upvote 0
    The ring is not THAT big a deal. It has sensors that detect things like blood pressure and blood oxygen - both of which change during the various stages of sleep. I have central sleep apnea, which is a neurological condition: my brain doesn't tell my lungs to breathe. I have an adaptive ventilator to use at night, but it doesn't break down how much time I'm in REM stage or dream state, or just in that in-between reverie. That's where a ring would be helpful because it will. My only problem is that I don't like sleeping with anything on... I'd have to get used to it.

Upvote 0
    All I saw was a ring with what appeared to be a ton of little droidy sensors and it creeped me out. I'm really old fashioned so it came off like one of those Black Mirror devices. I didn't know what it actually did (and neither did Best Buy) and figured that smart watches had already solved most of the health-related stuff so all my mind came up with was creepy dystopian stuff. Monitoring people's location, Covid vax status, etc. I know of some jobs that require employees to have Oura Rings, and I have no clue why (GPS?). As I said, I watched too many dystopian science fiction movies, and heed their warnings.

Somehow we as a species survived a ton of years without this tech, and for some reason today everyone is so spoiled by it they can't imagine a life without it, which to me would be real freedom. I'm tired of conversing behind a screen, I'd rather have a real physical relationship myself. Only I'm often told that's obsolete and was how Covid happened. Honestly, I'd be much happier to never see a QR code ever again. They're on literally everything. If it comes to the point that I start seeing them on animals and insects I will just end it.

Heaven forbid a natural disaster knocks the internet down for a significant period of time. At least I have my generator, and VHS movies, and DVD collection. Anyone dependent on their fancy smart TV will be just staring at a black box not able to do anything.

Honestly we were doing just fine until around 2002-ish. Then everything started getting ridiculous, and after 2014, it got worse. All I want is the life before all of it. I like having electricity and a land line phone, microwave, TV and such, but I long for a world without a smartphone or a car without a dozen screens killing my retinas.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    Sadly if the powers that be have their way, nobody will be able to leave their smart city for the country. Only the rich and powerful will have access to a forest, farm and animals. We will be stuck in a pod, eating crickets and renting everything via subscription, and the 'free' EV you'll be driving won't take you to the city limits--its on-board GPS won't allow the autonomous system to do so. The range might even be limited not by battery capacity, but by your social credit score.

Laugh all you want, don't be surprised when it happens and all I can say is 'I told you so, and you called me a conspiracy theorist.'

I think the unfortunate souls who live in California today can't even set their thermostats below 80 in the summer because of something something EPA green carbon something. Imagine sweating in your bed at night because the government said so. It ain't too far from North Korea and their 'mandatory power outages' after dark.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones