• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung Galaxy S won't turn on unless plugged in and now won't charge1

Iv had the same problem tried all the software stuff and different batterys etc etc still the same..now mines sorted now and your gona laugh....but i have nooooo idea why or how...but if i close the the little slider on the charger slot after charging the phone will boot with no problems at all!!!!..if the slots open it will not boot soo ehem give it a try..iv never had a problem since! let me know if this works for anyone like me

WOW!!! This is crazy. First let me say that similar to KAKAKAKA above my trouble started during the "Polar Vortex" we just experienced. So it looks like sub zero temps can bring these Fascinates to their knees. Mine just shut down and I could not restart until I got home. Tried several batteries and they all did the same thing. I also had all of the same issues with fully charged battery not powering up without the charger attached. I took my SD card out of my phone last week and it eliminates the window that keeps popping up saying that you are connected via the USB but still experienced the issue with powering up without the charger.

I was reading these posts last night during a long ride home and so the only thing I could try then was your fix. Low and behold I closed the "door" on the charger port and now it works fine. Prior Just re-installed the SD card.... seems okay but will wait as it did have a pop up that came up saying something about the card. But if it is the cause I will remove as I just need this phone to work I know I will miss the camera if I cant get that to work but at least it works without it and with bigkeey's crazy fix it will let me re-boot if I need to when I am not tied to a charger.

I need to buy another phone as Verizon wont renew my unlimited data plan unless I buy $700 phone. Oh yeah BTW .....thanks Verizon for your great tech support. All you wanted to do was sell me another phone and change my plan - not one bit of help except a telling me to do a full reset to factory defaults.

Upvote 0
i have an samsung galaxy s2 and its been having the same problem as your phones.
the problems are:
it only turns on with with a charger
shuts down sometimes once it ha finally turned on with a charger
i have tried up to 5 different batteries and they are all having the same problem
i have used many different charger but still no luck
does anyone know whether it is a hardware problem or a software problem

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones