• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung Galaxy S3 KILLS SD CARDS!!!!!!

I have tried several brands of cards, 16, 32, and 64 in size.
I have tried them on 2 different Galaxy SIII's and also a Samsung Mega.
Same problems.... The card simply uninstalls, or the phone says it can't read it all of a sudden. The SIII would notify me that the card had been removed. The Mega just stops recognizing anything on the card, and everything previously stored on it is lost, although the phone still sees the card, and can write to it....within a day or so of adding something to that card, it disappears.
In my mind, it has to be Samsung's problem.

Upvote 0
Okay,
So I had a PNY class 10 for less than a year in my evo 4g, worked flawlessly. Bought a Sprint Siii, formatted my PNY and used it fine for a few months then all of a sudden one day my phone said I had a blank or unsupported SD card and that I had to format it. Of course I lost all my pictures and such. I tried all the programs to recover, tried adapters on the computer, I followed all the suggestions. Then gave up and tried to format it, that didn't even work, seeing that I could not format it... Hey I just thought according to all the smart people (sarcasm) online it must be dead, even though I never had an SD card die on me in any of my other 50 devices that used various SD cards.

So I just felt horrible for buying a budget SD card PNY, I didn't think was that bad, but now knew it was trash since it just died on me less than a year, and back when the EVO was out class 10 16 gig was expensive that was almost 4 years ago.

This time I thought I was not going to skimp on the card, I went straight for SanDisk Ultra 32 GB MicroSDHC Class 10 UHS-1 from Amazon even made sure according to those wonderful lemmings online on posts about this, it was an official SanDisk SD card that I had to cut open.

So Got my new card everything was peachy keen for about a month, and please get the wonderful irony in this, last Friday I bought my mom an Siii from Sprint because they were having a sale for them for $50. I thought to myself I had to upgrade her crappy SD card and I ordered her the same card...It comes I install it in her new Siii and less than an hour later the SD card in my phone says either SD card removed. Insert a new one. or SD card is blank or has unsupported files. So it appears my Siii struck again... I immediately took the SD card out of my mom's phone and told her its better to use the internal storage. Of course all my pictures and things are gone. Over 400 pictures! back up back up you say... okay I have after my last lesson most of them are on my dropbox but still not all of them. YET THIS SHOULD NOT HAPPEN TWICE IN A ROW. I refuse to just believe that "SD cards just die" I call BS maybe once in a while but not like this.

I think there is a problem with this phone and Samsung will never admit it since they sold over 30 million phones and are the envy of Apple, but I was hoping that someone on here could prove it, figure out how to fix the SD cards to recover the information or prevent this, and or take some kind of poll to see how common this is with the Siii I have a feeling this is a known issue to someone/I will not be buying another sd card to use with a phone again. This experience is abhorrent.

I've found this youtube video youtube.com/watch?v=1fjNkQkQZ2U

Update*
So I wanted another SD card my phone space is full. I bought an Amazon basics class 4 8GB 1 week later its fried. Thanks Samdung. I'm probably not using you again.

in relation to this matter over my findings of this mysterious sd card problem.
"I to have been able to replicate the problem" So in order to find a solution to a problem sometimes you have to be able to replicate it to see how it can be fixed so here is my thoughts and please excuse me if someone has already duplicated this..

On this forum phandroid I had come across a app that is called SGS3EasyUMS
"which means Samsung Galaxy S3 Easy UnMountStorage from MTP then it turns your device into a MASS STORAGE DEVICE GaLS3 L710 and then my computer would only recognise my phone as a cd drive and would tell me I had to format my drive in order to use that part of my device. ???? strange
as for I was able to access it all the time before this took place.

it would show it as internal memory sd and ext memory as sd card when my phone was in MTP mode = allows transferring of files as media Im guessing the name MTP is for MEDIA TRANSFER PROTOCOL? which my computer has the drivers for.

and when I choose to switch from MTP to PTP which is Im guessing is PICTURE TRANSFER PROTOCOL?
it then loads another set of drivers for it so I can transfer just pictures or other media that don't support MTP.

Well when I chose this program to recognise my phone as MASS STORAGE DEVICE my computer is then supposed to load the correct drivers to it so it can be recognised appropriately. For the simple reason's MASS STORAGE DEVICE can be a cd-rom, hard drive, Large SD Known as "Secure Digital"

To rap all of this up
I can just simply say this I bet if you was to take an old android phone from like gingerbread or ice cream sandwich being factory installed and or Rooted or rommed to the max. and install your sd "Secure Digital" card in it and plug it into the computer through a usb data cable that is able to not just charge the phone but also for file transferring just like the one that comes with your
Samsung Galaxy S3 L710
it will properly start working no questions asked I bet you
because with those phones they supported the technology MASS STORAGE DEVICE MODE.

I know this will really help everyone big time.. so NO sgs3 does not kill cards its the drivers you install and the configuration over the computer and device your connecting to it..

"I may be wrong about this as for if this was the case I'am sure through booting the device it would remount the internal storage"
Another thought for the rooted users in here have you at anytime unmounted your sd through CWM OR any other recover modes like it.
might be a place to check as for if you have umounted your internal sd storage you may have caused this problem. No biggy as for we all make mistakes and some point of time..

Now if im wrong then someone please correct me as for I would only want to help. as for I'am seeing that this is a wopping issue here!

:DPlease people if any of this has helped you resolve your issues.
Could you hit the thanks button as for this helps me help others in your same situation.. thank you for helping me help others :D

Upvote 0
Did you try a program to fix sd ?
If I can find the name of it I'm positive it will fix it trust me. I had the same thing. And it fixed it.

These as cards has what you call is an data integrity date there after being written to to many times it will expire its self thus making the card useless. If u search the google site on what I said here u just may find it faster.

I forgot what its called if u need any more help I will further this for anyone that needs my help on it.. ;)

Upvote 0
Did you try a program to fix sd ?
If I can find the name of it I'm positive it will fix it trust me. I had the same thing. And it fixed it.

These as cards has what you call is an data integrity date there after being written to to many times it will expire its self thus making the card useless. If u search the google site on what I said here u just may find it faster.

I forgot what its called if u need any more help I will further this for anyone that needs my help on it.. ;)

You have got me curious now. My card is absolutely dead. Not detected in other mobiles. No detected on laptop. How can I make it work again???

Reactions: jaymzway
Upvote 0
You have got me curious now. My card is absolutely dead. Not detected in other mobiles. No detected on laptop. How can I make it work again???

also provide me some close up shots of the cards and please try to keep it clear as you can so I can see the printed board that you have for observations.. keep in mind I will not be able to tell you for sure through just a picture but it does help when you know what your looking at and "WHAT TO LOOK FOR"

pay attention to the links
As for I'am not responsible for what you do from here upon your own actions. I have never mislead anyone but times change and so does the internet. I have to be fair to you. If you don't feel that my links are good then turn back now lmao... have been warned
I have just downloaded these files now, that I have used also in the past and have had no problems to the best of knowledge they are in proper working order...

with that being said now you should be able to go get your lost data back. your files are corrupted and may need to replace your cards if the integrity has been met with the date that is on them but you should be able to recover most of your data keep in mind they have been corrupted for a reason so don't be greedy when trying to get everything back.
as for it could be that 1 file that can mess things up...
I suggest doing further research over google search and weigh your options before trying these files first....

Both have worked for me
let me know how it goes for everyone

Here is where I found those files..
http://www.computerworld.com/articl...y-tools-for-sd-cards-usb-drives-and-more.html

Search terms are as follows
sd data integrity date......
sd data recovery... and how to........
sd card recovery....and how to.........
these are examples to be looking for when getting more knowledge over your sd cards or data!!!!
end------

also things to try.....
have you bought a new sd card and tried it in your phone... I ask you does it work?????

have you switched brands or have you had anything that has been recently installed onto the cards right before this had taken place of loosing you cards data?????????

if not please describe has you have done recently before it took place of loosing access to your cards...

also these cards have been out way before your phone was.
try searching more at bestbuy or your local computer stores when dealing with storage devices and data that is where the technology has come from so it would near make sense going to the source rather than the hourse of course correct?

suggestions
stay away from cheap sd cards... they are not reliable..

this is for MAC
http://www.cardrescue.com/download/cardrescue-setup.dmg

This Is For windows
http://www.cardrecovery.com/download/cardrecovery_setup.exe

I can't say names of stores that take part in this practice

but there is a reason why when you formatted your sd cards in your phone that during the formating of the sd card had got the date written over so that way it would be the blame>>>> being a slightly out dated card and rather than blaming a brand new cell phone and for it could also has been made that way to make you toss the card out and buy another one while keeping the market and demands up for the cards.. this also has been provened with also your batteries have a embedded chip just on the top of it that it gets wet or damaged or out dated and for your personal protection while asleep or in your pocket that it don't ignite and cause fires. the red die is to tell you its been damaged and or its on its way of causing problems not just water damage... you can see this over at my other post on the topic about battery at the bottom you can see the picture of the chip I'am talking about.......

Reactions: smartech
Upvote 0
Go to Google play and download the app called "remount" describing the program so u know you have the right one / re is in white letters and mount is in bright green letters and yes it does work n be careful of what you are mounting. Mounting the wrong thing could spell disaster or undesired behavior of your device. Most likely you are wanting to "mount sd1"

You can thank me now because I know it will work unless your card is damaged. Also look for app called auto mount or auto mount SD.

Also this was found by another member android forums
it was posted over on android police
I thought to bring it here to share with everyone here in this post as for this was the first topic of SD cards that I seen posted
http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/1...s-automatic-mediastore-and-improves-security/

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
here is another way to fix your sd cards?
Post back here if anything helps or works so everyone can benefit from this please thank you..
get an actual sd card reader.
plug it in the usb slot and choose "FULL FORMAT" it will take longer.
Now choose the option to format using fat32 with default allocation file size
Then choose "scandisk from pc"
and put checks in for "automatic fix errors"
then put the card back in phone and choose to format sd card so the phone will apply the method that is necessary.

let us know if this helps you out. ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've read people saying their S3 fried their SD card. Out of all the people I've seen posting here and XDA, in over a year in the Boost & Sprint sections, I can count on one hand how many people I've read who have said their phone made the SD card go bad. It is possible the phone SD reader was faulty and fried their SD card but I would bet most of those cards failed because they themselves were faulty or just cheaply made. I've ran several cards in my phone and have never had an issue. I don't run those cheap cards either. I run SanDisk cards.

Bottom line. You get what you pay for when it comes to SD cards. Also, EBay is notorious for selling name brand cards that are fake. If you buy online from EBay, always check the seller feedback. Check Amazon seller feedback too. They are more reliable than Ebay but it's always best to read the seller's feedback.

The best way to buy a true name brand card is to buy from a store like Best Buy, Radio Shack, etc. Best Buy runs kick ass sales online all the time. I've ordered mine and picked them up at the store in the past.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 has killed 2 Kingston SD cards. One was 16 gb and other was 32 gb. The weird thing is that they are just totally dead. Not detectable by my laptop as well.

This all happened after one day my S3 suddenly ejected my cards. And now I am now cardless. And fearful to buy another one.

I just burned my second Samsung micro sd card in my Samsung S3. First time it was a 64gb and this time 32gb. I can't format it because the phone or the computer doesn't read it anymore. They both last 3 to 6 months. Any new cards works well in my phone and my 2 fried cards doesn't work in other phones. I called Samsung Canada and they are telling me that it is impossible that a phone burn a card!!!

Upvote 0
I just burned my second Samsung micro sd card in my Samsung S3. First time it was a 64gb and this time 32gb. I can't format it because the phone or the computer doesn't read it anymore. They both last 3 to 6 months. Any new cards works well in my phone and my 2 fried cards doesn't work in other phones. I called Samsung Canada and they are telling me that it is impossible that a phone burn a card!!!
They are probably being literal. Don't tell them it burnt them, tell them it corrupted them and made them inoperable. Or they are just being azz hol3$. Which is also likely.

Reactions: jaymzway
Upvote 0
Okay,
So I had a PNY class 10 for less than a year in my evo 4g, worked flawlessly. Bought a Sprint Siii, formatted my PNY and used it fine for a few months then all of a sudden one day my phone said I had a blank or unsupported SD card and that I had to format it. Of course I lost all my pictures and such. I tried all the programs to recover, tried adapters on the computer, I followed all the suggestions. Then gave up and tried to format it, that didn't even work, seeing that I could not format it... Hey I just thought according to all the smart people (sarcasm) online it must be dead, even though I never had an SD card die on me in any of my other 50 devices that used various SD cards.

So I just felt horrible for buying a budget SD card PNY, I didn't think was that bad, but now knew it was trash since it just died on me less than a year, and back when the EVO was out class 10 16 gig was expensive that was almost 4 years ago.

This time I thought I was not going to skimp on the card, I went straight for SanDisk Ultra 32 GB MicroSDHC Class 10 UHS-1 from Amazon even made sure according to those wonderful lemmings online on posts about this, it was an official SanDisk SD card that I had to cut open.

So Got my new card everything was peachy keen for about a month, and please get the wonderful irony in this, last Friday I bought my mom an Siii from Sprint because they were having a sale for them for $50. I thought to myself I had to upgrade her crappy SD card and I ordered her the same card...It comes I install it in her new Siii and less than an hour later the SD card in my phone says either SD card removed. Insert a new one. or SD card is blank or has unsupported files. So it appears my Siii struck again... I immediately took the SD card out of my mom's phone and told her its better to use the internal storage. Of course all my pictures and things are gone. Over 400 pictures! back up back up you say... okay I have after my last lesson most of them are on my dropbox but still not all of them. YET THIS SHOULD NOT HAPPEN TWICE IN A ROW. I refuse to just believe that "SD cards just die" I call BS maybe once in a while but not like this.

I think there is a problem with this phone and Samsung will never admit it since they sold over 30 million phones and are the envy of Apple, but I was hoping that someone on here could prove it, figure out how to fix the SD cards to recover the information or prevent this, and or take some kind of poll to see how common this is with the Siii I have a feeling this is a known issue to someone/I will not be buying another sd card to use with a phone again. This experience is abhorrent.

I've found this youtube video youtube.com/watch?v=1fjNkQkQZ2U

Update*
So I wanted another SD card my phone space is full. I bought an Amazon basics class 4 8GB 1 week later its fried. Thanks Samdung. I'm probably not using you again.

I am Sorry bout your issue. I would say the PNY card is the real problem. Seriously they are cheap 'x'nese merch. Probably a bad sector or corrupted filesystem (best case). Are you leaving a disk benchmark running overnight? If these cards are dying then get another phone, Hopefully on extended warranty or insurance. Wally world has them brand new for $179-249.00. I got a good laugh out of this I must admit. While I am not flat out eliminating the phone as a "destroyer of cards", been a while since I have heard a statement like this. Have 23yrs experience with computers and electronics.

Reactions: jaymzway and Madbat
Upvote 0
While I am not flat out eliminating the phone as a "destroyer of cards", been a while since I have heard a statement like this. Have 23yrs experience with computers and electronics.

I agree as well of my 18+ years playing and modding computers I know an average amount in the linux.
and my years of playing with the brew firmware on flip phones through bitpim program was out and been playing in the android market through sdk, apktools.
Most cases it's user errors or cards themselves that fail or fail due to unsafe handling and storing them.
I find that SanDisk has been the best option for me and many of others over the years.
and have had the same one since 05 that is dang on good for how many times I erase that sucker and keep writing to it seems as if it will never die..

Upvote 0
[QUOTE="I just burned my second Samsung micro sd card in my Samsung S3. First time it was a 64gb and this time 32gb. I can't format it because the phone or the computer doesn't read it anymore. They both last 3 to 6 months. Any new cards works well in my phone and my 2 fried cards doesn't work in other phones. I called Samsung Canada and they are telling me that it is impossible that a phone burn a card!!![/QUOTE]

Just because it don't read it anymore does not mean that it is burned up...
lmao..... and it is possible to burn a card it is just not a common issue on good brand cards, also if your hands are to oily and you touch the gold leads on the end of the card and if you have static charge in yea you could zap your card and or creating a short across the leads and when you insert your card into your phone it could render it useless.

Go to play store and download Re/mount install it and use it. Choose option RW as ->sd1.
On my Asus ultrabook touch screen Win 8 Everytime I plug in my GsS3 it won't show my phone or sd card
sometimes I click refresh and it comes back up. if not I then unplug it and plug it back in and click refresh again then it shows up.
alot of times if you are just taking the card in and out of the phone without the use of software ejecting method which is the way you are supposed to do it from with in settings menu storage and choose at the bottom unmount sd.
then try shutting down the phone do a factory reset with the card out of the phone. when finished start the phone back up with the card still out of the phone and let it complete its process and then do a shutdown turn on phone wait till it completes loading and there is nothing more going on
and then insert the card wait for the message at the top of the screen should say preparing sd card let that finish when that is complete plug your phone into computer on the single usb not the 2 usb ports side of computer. you should see your phone storage pop up showing your SPH-L710
"Before you do this next step try opening your card storage and see if your files are there if so copy and paste them in a new folder"
If failed to do so then "continue here-->" if From phone and card storage right click on card and choose format, choose default values, when finished choose icon at the bottom of your system clock and choose to remove phone safely
then unplug your phone and go to settings/storage/and choose format sd1.
if all of that has failed you then buy another card with warranty and keep making backups of your sd everytime you add new pics or precious moments to them so you never lose them.

Also can try with your phone off and card out
get cold compressed air from any wallie mart and computer supply stores carries it.
"with phone off and battery out and card out"2X "with phone off and battery out and card out"
I say this for obvious reasons "Hot+Cold= Water
spray cold air into the sd card slot just perhaps maybe some dust had gotten in the slot and it got pressed inside of the slot or from build up Slim+Chances=Possibilities Ya never know till you try..
Cheers hope and wish everyone well... thank you

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi folks. I know this issue has been discussed here ad-nauseum, but I just found something very interesting while shopping for a 64GB Sandisk MicroSD card on Amazon. Check out the explanation in this lengthy review, where a fellow found out that both Samsung and Sandisk KNOW about this problem, and Samsung refuses to act on it. Sandisk took it upon themselves to modify the microSD card's internal file structure so it can work with Samsung phones.

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra...?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar&showViewpoints=0

Upvote 0
Reviving old post.... But you guys are not alone. I have a Note 4 that did this to me yesterday, woke up and had SD Card Removed message. Long story short, tried everything for 3 hours with no luck, media is not detected at all. Funny thing is, it is a Samsung card and had worked for over 1 1/2 years (ever since I got the phone) so best answer I've seen so far is to use a backup program that backs up your SD card to the cloud. There is no telling when this will happen, but when it does, bye bye data. I've yet still haven't looked/found this software, but any advice for an app to backup SD card to cloud would be nice. Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0
I have never trusted the cloud for anything I value as important. For me, a weekly routine of making a nandroid backup, and copying that, the full content of my SD card, and the device's internal memory content that is of interest to me, to my PC for safe keeping has served me well. if you are traveling, clone your SD card and carry a spare ready to go at a moment's notice. :)

Upvote 0
Thanks for your reply Zonandroid. I think I found my solution, VERY VERY close to your suggestion. It's called FolderSync. I backup to my unRAID server via SFTP. I love it, it's backing up my internal sdcard content now, and have a brand new sdcard inserted on my phone (cheaper card, it has what it looks like an elongated C and the word TEAM inside the C) so whatever gets stored there will be automatically backed up to my personal server. So far this is what I've found to be effective and safe! It has MANY cloud options, but I chose my own server via SFTP.

Here is a list of the actual cloud services offered by FolderSync as of today:
Amazon Cloud Drive
Amazon S3
Box
CloudMe
Cubby
Digitalbucket.net
Dropbox
FTP
GoDaddy
Google Drive
HiDrive
Hubic
Livedrive Premium
MEGA
MyDrive.ch
MyKolab.com
NetDocuments
OneDrive
OneDrive for Business
ownCloud 7/8
ownCloud 9
pCloud
SFTP
SMB/CIFS
Storegate
SugarSync
WEB.DE
WebDAV
Yandex Disk

For $2.87 this is such a kick @$$ app! I highly recommend it! So far it's been backing up my internal sdcard content (over 20 gigs without a hickup. If you don't hear back from me that means all went smooth and I can rest assured that I will ***NEVER EVER*** lose any data from my phone. My unRAID has 2 parity drives, and 40 TB of storage. ;-)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones