• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help samsung galaxy s5 editing problems

KatOlivia

Lurker
May 27, 2015
Ever since I received my new galaxy s5 I've been having really bad problems with editing my photos on the device. The camera is completely fine and I love the quality but as soon as I start to edit it the quality goes from a 10 to a 2.
I've used the in-gallery editor and a multitude of 3rd party ones and every time I edit it the quality de-pleats further. The problem is loads of lines start appearing on the photo and the more I edit it the more prominent they get. I've scoured many forums looking for an answer/fix but no one else seems to be having the same problem.
Below are examples:
e280lBf.jpg

original photo
MEhdbXl.jpg

cropped in the in-gallery app
QlFNdLF.jpg

edited slightly in a 3rd party app
8dHIwBd.jpg

cropped and filter added in in-gallery app

It occurs even worse when editing photos from the front camera, which isn't great for selfies :(:p

If anyone could fix this for me I would be very grateful, thanks!

Reactions: mujeebmj86
It's because the stock photo editor is saving as JPG, which is a lossy compression format. It means every time you open, edit and save, it's throwing throwing more and more detail away. That's why your images are visibly degrading like that. It's likely that the third-party apps you've tried are also saving as lossy JPG. What have you actually tried? Photoshop Express for Android can work with PNG, which is a lossless image format, but it's not free though, $59 for the full suite.

Upvote 0
Anytime you edit a photo you will lose image quality, especially when you crop an image . Try to go through your camera settings and make sure you have everything set to take the highest quality image to start . I know the whole point in using the phones photo editor is for convenience but have you tried transferring them to a pc and then editing them ?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones