• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung Galaxy S5 Lollipop reboot loop

Why are you attempting to update whilst the phone is in Safe Mode! :thinking:

I ain't trying to do anything! That was the only time I succeeded, somehow, to disable wifi in safe mode. After a few moments, that error popped up instead of a reboot. Once I disabled wifi, I could use the phone without a crash. Of course, after another reboot, wifi will turn on again and the phone will crash :/

Ok, Ironass is always correct, unless... I'll try to remember :)

Still, it's annoying that 'some' wifi bug crashes my phone. And even if I succeed in disabling it, the next reboot it will turn on again :( Despite the flight mode.

Is my best chance to recover my phone to just wait until 6.0 comes in January? Would that give a better chance of booting? I mean, all is there... It really seems to be a firmware bug.

Thanxx

Last edited:
Upvote 0
And still my other question... If I downgrade once more to Android 4, WHAT exactly is the procedure to KEEP data? It felt, on my S3, that it was shooting dice: sometimes the new image with Odin would wipe everything, other times it would just restore the OS. I could never predict it in advance.

So WHERE is this decided when I flash with Odin? What should I look or watch out for? I'm *not* talking factory reset here (though the end result might be the same ;p).

And IF I downgrade and IF I am able to keep all my apps... Will the binaries still work? I understand android 4 to 5 was a major upgrade, including binary compilation.

Upvote 0
And still my other question... If I downgrade once more to Android 4, WHAT exactly is the procedure to KEEP data? It felt, on my S3, that it was shooting dice: sometimes the new image with Odin would wipe everything, other times it would just restore the OS. I could never predict it in advance.

So WHERE is this decided when I flash with Odin? What should I look or watch out for? I'm *not* talking factory reset here (though the end result might be the same ;p).

See below for the answer to your own question...

And IF I downgrade and IF I am able to keep all my apps... Will the binaries still work? I understand android 4 to 5 was a major upgrade, including binary compilation.

Not even Samsung engineers would guarantee that a Factory Data Reset will not be needed after a downgrade from Android 5 to 4 and if you took it to them, that is the first thing they would do.

I do not think your Wi-Fi issue is an Android bug otherwise it would affect 60 million Galaxy S5 users worldwide and the web would be awash with it. In the first instance, I suggest deleting all your Wi-Fi connections and re-booting your router to see if that solves your problem. If not, try the Full Wipe+Factory Data Reset as mentioned.

Reactions: devnullius
Upvote 0
:) ok, better not downgrade (would void warranty acc. to samsung and they wouldn't do it for me). And again, NO, to "try the Full Wipe+Factory Data Reset as mentioned". I NEED my data!

Then if it's a software problem, where to look if it even makes my phone crash in safe mode??

And this is still bugging me:
" And still my other question... If I flash a new ROM, WHAT exactly is the procedure to KEEP data? It felt, on my S3, that it was shooting dice: sometimes the new image with Odin would wipe everything, other times it would just restore the OS. I could never predict it in advance. "

;-)

Upvote 0
Why not export out your data?
Super Backup as well as other apps can store your Contacts, all SMS stuff, Calendars, off the device by sharing it to the cloud/email. I use it to send a backup of my phone to my email address.

* Super Backup : SMS & Contacts - Android Apps on Google Play

if you are using apps that store data internally, then I suggest you export out that data for safekeeping.

Upvote 0
I have just always made backups, did a full FDR and went on with life.

it always works, and I'm home free.... minus a few hours setting the phone up again.

However, IF you will install Nova Prime launcher, and make backups of all of your screens, Nova can restore your phone's looks and feel in about 15 seconds. that cuts my restore time down immensely.

1. FDR
2. Import the apps again
3. Look at MyApps and see what is missing
.... replace those from PlayStore
4. Install Nova launcher again
.... import all of your old screens with just one click....
5. Restore all of your Super Backups for Calendar, Contacts, SMS

done!

Upvote 0
There is no one thing that triggers it. However, top of the list would be user apps, data and settings.

So it's a true crapshoot then? Sometimes you lose data and apps, sometimes you don't. Even with the exact same ROM - it all depends on some apps installed on the phone. STRANGE that Google didn't build a warning system like: "ok, we found problems, we have to reset now". But nothing like that.

So... If I write a ROM with Odin, I'm only re-flashing partitions, no?? If I reflash system partition, data partition remains untouched, no? If there was a problematic app, "all" that happens is the phone will not boot properly. I really don't see where the data partition gets wiped too. Same files, same procedures, same phone and sometimes data partition is wiped and sometimes it isn't? Makes so little sense to me :(

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated!

Devvie - waiting for January & Android 5 for S5 :s

Upvote 0
So it's a true crapshoot then? Sometimes you lose data and apps, sometimes you don't. Even with the exact same ROM - it all depends on some apps installed on the phone. STRANGE that Google didn't build a warning system like: "ok, we found problems, we have to reset now". But nothing like that.

So... If I write a ROM with Odin, I'm only re-flashing partitions, no?? If I reflash system partition, data partition remains untouched, no? If there was a problematic app, "all" that happens is the phone will not boot properly. I really don't see where the data partition gets wiped too. Same files, same procedures, same phone and sometimes data partition is wiped and sometimes it isn't? Makes so little sense to me :(

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated!

Devvie - waiting for January & Android 5 for S5 :s

It is the app you use that looses the data.
Some store their data on the extSDcard, that is safe.

Other cheapo developers don't bother to do that, and store the data inside their own app, or inside their own app's folder... that folder disappears when the phone does the FDR routine. That is why you loose data. It is NOT a random thing.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones