• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung Galaxy S6 Email flakiness

Two days ago, I activated my new Samsung Galaxy S6 phone after previously using an S4. The default e-mail program (the one with a white envelope icon with the red "@" symbol) is acting up, as follows.

I use the app to send and receive using three POP3 e-mail accounts. Everything seems to perform flawlessly, except for one detail: Even after I've read and deleted every message, when I look under "Accounts" with the default e-mail account selected, the Trash entry in the list stills shows 8 messages. Yet when I open that Trash folder, there's nothing there and there's no option to delete anything. I'm fairly sure there aren't any 8 messages actually in the Trash folder, so something seems to be out of sync. What do I have to do to get things back into sync, and how can I prevent this from happening again?

--Larry

P.S. Another thing that bothers me, but which is probably just brain dead design: Is there any way to empty the Trash folder without having to select all the messages one by one and then pressing Delete? If I'm trying to delete 30 messages, that gets tedious really quickly.

Reactions: Marvin2Shoes
Thanks for responding. I now realize I misspoke about the deletion thing. Once messages are in the Trash, I do have a "Delete All" function. It's in the Inbox where I have to select "Edit" then select all the messages one by one before selecting "Delete". Many times I can glance at a long list of messages and decide to deal with them all at my PC rather than my phone (I have all three accounts set to NOT delete messages from the server when I delete them from the phone). Why isn't there a "Select All" option to make that quicker?

--Larry

Upvote 0
There may be slightly different versions of the e-mail app out there. I know I had that option in the default e-mail app on my S4, and it definitely isn't there on my S6.

I'm more interested in getting rid of the phantom 8 message in the Trash folder. No ideas? If I can't get rid of that annoyance, any suggestions as to a replacement mail app? My needs are fairly simple, the app needs to be able to handle multiple POP3 accounts (three in my case), and allow me to select all e-mails for deletion from the Inbox list.

--Larry

Upvote 0
By the way, I also have a delete all option in my inboxes, but I get this ONLY after individually selecting every message in the list. I don't want to have to select all the messages one by one.

--Larry

The galaxy 4 & 5 both have the select all function which extremely useful when receiving 1000 emails a day.

I now also have the galaxy 6. Which does not have the select all function to delete email.

Instead of going forward and improving the application it went backwards.

There should be away to download the previous version no?

Tech knowledgeable person should have an answer to this.

Respectfully Rob

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi all,
My problem with the S6 is that my emails keep disappearing! As soon as I've read an email it disappears from my inbox. It's still on the server, but I can't re-read an email on my phone. And sometimes, from out of nowhere, an email from two weeks ago appears for a while and then disappears again. I have two accounts set up on my phone and they both act the same way.

Anyone had the same problem?

Upvote 0
My issue with the s6 is the damn flipboard thing I keep accidentally scrolling into.
It should be a choice....not a mandatory app forced upon you.

Touch a blank area on home screen, then swipe to right until you see the flipboard screen. There's a checkbox at the top of the screen so go ahead and uncheck it and click the home button...viola it's gone!

I too cannot delete "all" emails as I once could since switching to S6

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
Two days ago, I activated my new Samsung Galaxy S6 phone after previously using an S4. The default e-mail program (the one with a white envelope icon with the red "@" symbol) is acting up, as follows.

I use the app to send and receive using three POP3 e-mail accounts. Everything seems to perform flawlessly, except for one detail: Even after I've read and deleted every message, when I look under "Accounts" with the default e-mail account selected, the Trash entry in the list stills shows 8 messages. Yet when I open that Trash folder, there's nothing there and there's no option to delete anything. I'm fairly sure there aren't any 8 messages actually in the Trash folder, so something seems to be out of sync. What do I have to do to get things back into sync, and how can I prevent this from happening again?

--Larry

P.S. Another thing that bothers me, but which is probably just brain dead design: Is there any way to empty the Trash folder without having to select all the messages one by one and then pressing Delete? If I'm trying to delete 30 messages, that gets tedious really quickly.

I'm having the exact same problem with the phantom number in my trash bin. And I've cleared the two email accounts on my S6, I've gone to my email servers and made sure everything is deleted there, and I still get the phantom numbers. As suggested by others in this and other forums, I've also gone to Applications Manager and deleted both cache and data and still get the same phantom numbers. Sure, I can just ignore this since it doesn't show on the home screen but only when I go to the Trash folders for my two email accounts, but it's definitely annoying and needs to be fixed. And I have the same wish about "delete all," both for the In box and the Trash folder.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones