• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung Galaxy S7 disastrous battery life

Phone details:
Samsung Galaxy S7 (have had since it first came out)
running Android 7.0

This battery life issue seems to just be an issue of late and of gradual worsening. In the first year of having the phone the battery life was fine. I could play games and use my phone often all day and it would last until I got home late at night.

In the past few months it's gradually gotten worse and now it's just sad. I drive to my college classes in the morning around 9 am and charge it in my car to 100%; it is at 100% when I am going to my first class. I only use my phone for a few minutes periodically in between classes throughout the day and it dies completely by 4 or 5 pm, and I'm barely even using it. I'll check my email, snapchat, twitter, facebook, etc. maybe a couple times throughout the day. And sometimes I play music on Spotify but that doesn't really drain much battery at all.

In fact, the battery usage screen shows that no app is draining much battery at all. It just seems to be the system. The phone is just rapidly dying all day long without much use. Here's an example:

One day, by noon, it was at 45%. (3 hours on battery)
Battery usage:
Screen 8%
Android System 5%
Android OS 4%
Chrome 3%
Google Play Services 3%
Phone idle 2%
Twitter 2%
Weather Channel 1%
etc.

I already have my location on "battery saving" mode ALWAYS. I have the screen brightness to automatic. There's nothing else I can do to save more battery without shutting off things that I need.

I'm at a loss of what to do. I really would like to just get a new phone but I'd rather just wait until the S9 comes out. Any suggestions of something I may be missing here?

Reactions: chidog1

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones