• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung Galaxy Tab - first impressions

Bought mine yesterday - Verizon. No contract. Bought a leather case that allows you to prop it up to watch in movie landscape.

I think it is lovely and bright. Response. Swype and regular typing are phenomenal because of size. Already downloaded a movie from Blockbuster and discovered that wi-fi doesn't use data up. I guess I should have figured that but I didn't. I've also gotten a book from Amazon.

Can't figure how to put a signature on my comcast email account. I was asked to do that intially but there must have been a "save" feature I missed and now I can't find that at all - only gmail.

It is "larger" than I had thought, even though I'd played with it at Verizon. I now can't imagine having an ipad. So extremely unportable. This is, at least, portable. Fits in my purse.

I sold my Droid X on ebay to fund most of this. And I got an lg versa "regular old phone." Been years since I had one. I've had a Droid, Droid Incredible and Droid X (which I loved) but I decided that I was spending so much time on my X searching the web and texting and emailing that it made no sense to do all that on such a small screen. Why not just have an old-fashioned small phone and the Tab?

I did the "everything will be big on your screen if you do this" thing but jewel game is still small. Maybe that's the way it will be.

Also turned off auto brightness as it was just too dark.

Connected to wifi in my house and downloaded the movie from Blockbuster so quickly. That is so exciting. Can't wait to watch it as I fly to CA for Thanksgiving.

Sherry

Upvote 0
Can't figure how to put a signature on my comcast email account. I was asked to do that intially but there must have been a "save" feature I missed and now I can't find that at all - only gmail.

Go into the email application. Press the menu button. Select "account manager". Find your email account and tap it. The third or so line down should have signature. Tap that to edit.

Upvote 0
Bought mine yesterday - Verizon. No contract. Bought a leather case that allows you to prop it up to watch in movie landscape.

I think it is lovely and bright. Response. Swype and regular typing are phenomenal because of size. Already downloaded a movie from Blockbuster and discovered that wi-fi doesn't use data up. I guess I should have figured that but I didn't. I've also gotten a book from Amazon.

It is "larger" than I had thought, even though I'd played with it at Verizon. I now can't imagine having an ipad. So extremely unportable. This is, at least, portable. Fits in my purse.

I sold my Droid X on ebay to fund most of this. And I got an lg versa "regular old phone." Been years since I had one. I've had a Droid, Droid Incredible and Droid X (which I loved) but I decided that I was spending so much time on my X searching the web and texting and emailing that it made no sense to do all that on such a small screen. Why not just have an old-fashioned small phone and the Tab?

I did the "everything will be big on your screen if you do this" thing but jewel game is still small. Maybe that's the way it will be.

Also turned off auto brightness as it was just too dark.

Connected to wifi in my house and downloaded the movie from Blockbuster so quickly. That is so exciting. Can't wait to watch it as I fly to CA for Thanksgiving.

Sherry

You can make that Jewel game full screen by doing this:

The apps not filling the screen has already been solved....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zasSIA7sexM&feature=player_embedded

Also, it seems like your not the only one who loves the Tab and the game Jewel. :D

Wait.... could this be you?! :O

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZ7nVVu4CzI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yQmTbGOhyw&feature=player_embedded#!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_yJyMHSwoc&feature=related

Upvote 0
I too want to drop my verizon plan and just use the Wi-Fi. I'm only into day 2 but here's what I did to test it out:

I found the Mobile network settings.
Disable the Use packet Data
and
Data roaming

I am connected to my wi-fi and my browser works, guess I'll need to confirm this after a day or so with the verizon usage hopefully at 0.

You can also just hold down the power/unlock button for a couple seconds and turn "data network mode" off :)

Upvote 0
I have a Sprint Galaxy Tab that does not have any Sprint data service on it. I put it in flight mode and just turn on Wi-Fi for use at home and work. If I am somewhere that has no Wi-Fi access, I turn on my HTC EVO Hotspot service and connect the Tab that way.

The one drawback to not having any Sprint data, is that I am constantly reminded to activate the device, which I can deal with.

I have verified with Sprint that none of the data plans offered for the Tablet come with tethering from the Tablet to a laptop etc.

anyone try to tether the tab with their droid phone yet? i heard it doesn't work. please say it aint so?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones