• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Samsung Gear IconX 2018 - FATAL FLAW

The_Chief

Accept no imitations!
  • Nov 17, 2009
    Manchester, Tennessee
    I ordered these last year, as soon as they were available, and have loved using them. They are small but powerful, with hours of battery life. I don't store music ON them, but that capability is there if you want to leave your phone at home. There is a learning curve to the patterns controlling them, but it's pretty easy.

Then I started having trouble keeping them paired to my Galaxy Note8. So I unpaired them, uninstalled all the software and started all over.

During my attempt to pair this set of BLUETOOTH earbuds to my Note8 in the phone's BLUETOOTH settings, I was prompted to install the Samsung Gear app. This is not an option: you HAVE to install it. There is a "Cancel" option - but that stops the pairing process. It's a mandatory app. Why does a Bluetooth device demand its own app to work with a Bluetooth-capable phone?

Worse, the app REQUIRES the Location permission to be allowed. Again, this is not an option: if you do not give the app permission to track your location, the app will not work... therefore your earbuds will not work.

I reached out, rather vocally, to Samsung. Their explanation is that the app allows users to get the most out of the earbuds. I don't NEED the most: I just need earbuds that will stream audio from my phone. That's it. That's what I paid for. No other Bluetooth device paired to my phone has a mandatory app! I then demanded to know why the app insists on knowing my location... I was told this was in case a user loses their earbuds, they can be located. NO, THANK YOU! I'll take my chances, Samsung!

Samsung has no right to mandate the installation of an app, that knows where my earbuds are at all times, just so I can use them. I paid a lot of money for these things, Samsung: I'll use them whenever, and wherever, I want... which is none of your business!

These mandates were not originally there, to the best of my memory. So now I have an expensive set of earbuds that I refuse to use out of principle. If you have no problem with Samsung forcing you to install an app that tells them where your earbuds are at all times, then go ahead and get these. If, however, you value what little privacy you have left and only want a set of Bluetooth earbuds to simply do their job, I suggest you keep looking. For this reason alone, I cannot recommend this product to anyone.

After working with Samsung, I was able to get the earbuds working without the Samsung Gear app. I used the app (allowed location) long enough to make sure that the earbuds have the latest firmware. I then uninstalled the app and reset the earbuds. They now connect directly with my Note8.

However, the original issue with repeated connection tones remains. Today I'll try to run them with the Darling Bride's Galaxy S8 Plus and see if the problem continues.

Upvote 0
    I'm going to end up posting the entire conversation I'm having with Samsung on Facebook Messenger, because it's got my blood boiling and I don't like being the only one with boiling blood... here's an excerpt:

I have continued troubleshooting the Gear IconX using both my Galaxy Note8 and my wife's Galaxy S8 Plus. And I am becoming more and more perplexed by the problem.

When the earbuds are paired and connected to my Note8, I can control the music fine - but I experience nearly constant connection tones. I unpaired the earbuds and connected them with the Galaxy S8 Plus - I listened to music for an hour with no connection tones... but the touch pads would never control the music! So on one phone, I can control the music but can't keep them connected... with the other phone, they stay connected but I can't control the music. All Samsung devices, all running the latest firmware.

I unpaired the Gear IconX earbuds from my wife's Galaxy S8 Plus and tried to pair them with my Note8. And once again, it is DEMANDING that I install the Samsung Gear app, and DEMANDING that I allow the location permission. I am OVER these earbuds.

Samsung’s response -

My apologies for the long wait, Lamar. In order for the Samsung Gear IconX to work properly on your device, the permissions need to be allowed and the Samsung Gear app needs to be installed, otherwise, you'll be having the same symptoms you mentioned before.

And MINE back at 'em -

Rony, when I initially purchased the Gear IconX from Samsung.com the location permission was not mandatory. I do not know what update pushed the requirement for the Samsung Gear app, or the mandatory location permission, but that is not acceptable. If Samsung is going to insist on knowing my location as a condition of continued
    use of these earbuds, then Samsung can buy them back. I'll send them back and Samsung can apply the credit to my account and I'll use it when the Note9 goes on pre-order.

(end excerpt)

There is no reason why I should HAVE to use a companion app for a Bluetooth device - and that app REQUIRE my location to function.

Reactions: Hadron
    Upvote 0
    UPDATE:

I was advised to call Samsung's e-Commerce team, which I did. This issue was escalated to... somebody up the chain. I was sent an email asking me to reply with the specifics of the problem. Here is my email:

Hello, Samsung and thank you for your assistance with this problem.

This is regarding the Gear IconX earbuds, order XXXXXXXXXXXX for $199.99 plus $19.50 tax for a total of $219.49.

I purchased them on October 20, 2017, as soon as they were available, and have loved using them as my secondary Bluetooth accessory in certain situations, like the gym. They are small but powerful, with hours of battery life.

A couple of months ago I started having trouble keeping them connected to my Galaxy Note8. My symptom was the connection tone, over and over, sometimes several times a minute – even though my music continued to stream in both earbuds and all the controls worked. I cleaned them gently to make sure the proximity sensors were not obscured, but the problem persisted. So, I unpaired them, uninstalled all the software and started over.

I continued troubleshooting the Gear IconX using both my Galaxy Note8 and my wife's Galaxy S8 Plus. Each phone causes different symptoms.

When the earbuds are paired and connected to my Galaxy Note8, I can hear and control the music fine - but I experience nearly constant connection tones. I unpaired the earbuds, paired and connected them with the Galaxy S8 Plus - I listened to music for over an hour with no random connection tones... but the touch pads would never control the music! On one phone, I can control the music but can't keep them connected... with the other phone, they stay connected, but I can't control the music. All three are Samsung devices, and all running the latest firmware.

I unpaired the Gear IconX earbuds from my wife's Galaxy S8 Plus and tried to pair them back with my Galaxy Note8. And it is DEMANDING that I install the Samsung Gear app and DEMANDING that I allow the location permission.

Why does a Bluetooth device demand its own app to function with a Bluetooth-capable phone?

Worse, the app REQUIRES the location permission to be allowed. Again, this is not an option: if I do not give the app permission to track my location, the app will not work... therefore my earbuds will not work.

When I initially purchased the Gear IconX from Samsung.com the location permission was NOT mandatory for the earbuds to pair, connect and function. This is a new permission, which was pushed out AFTER my return window had closed.

I reached out to Samsung Support on Facebook. Their explanation is that the app allows users to “get the most out of the earbuds”. This is patently untrue: the app allows users to get ANYTHING out of the earbuds, because without the app, the earbuds will not even pair with the phone.

I don't NEED “the most”: I just need earbuds that will stream audio from my phone. That's it. That's what I paid $220 for. No other Bluetooth device paired to my phone has a mandatory companion app!

I then demanded to know why the app insists on knowing my location... I was told this was in case a user loses their earbuds, they can be located. NO, THANK YOU! I will take my chances, Samsung! That would be a nice option if someone were prone to losing their earbuds – but that is not an acceptable reason to MANDATE the location permission for all users.

Samsung has no right to mandate the installation of an app, that knows where my earbuds are at all times, just so I can use them. I paid a lot of money for these things, Samsung: I will use them whenever, and wherever, I want... which is none of Samsung’s business!

In fact, the product information page on the Samsung.com website fails to disclose that the LOCATION permission is mandatory and must be allowed for the earbuds to pair, connect and operate:

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/gear-iconx-2018

Nor is this mandate mentioned in the User Manual or the Legal Terms.

I do not know what update pushed the requirement for the Samsung Gear app, or the mandatory location permission, but that is not acceptable to me. If Samsung is going to insist on knowing my location as a condition of any further use of these earbuds, then Samsung can buy them back.

Since the conditions of use have changed since I purchased the Gear IconX earbuds and I do not accept these conditions, I respectfully request that Samsung issue an RMA for order XXXXXXXXX and, upon receipt of the item, either apply the original purchase price of the earbuds to my Samsung account as a credit for future use; or refund the original purchase price to the payment method used.

Sincerely,

(ME)

Upvote 0
    I got a response!

'Thank you for contacting Samsung Direct. I understand that you require a return label for order Xxxxxxxxxxxx; Gear IconX, Black (2018). Unfortunately, Samsung has a strict 15 day return policy and we would be unable to process a return at this point. We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused you. Please advise if you have any questions or concerns. Thank you for choosing Samsung and have a wonderful day.'

I replied to the message, thanking them for the response and that I would see them in arbitration.

Reactions: bcrichster
    Upvote 0
    Nah, these corporations are all about collecting data on you for their own ends. There's no need to assume any third party is involved.

(It's even remotely conceivable that they are telling the truth, that they only added the location requirement for that one purpose, have no intention of using it in any other way, and the rest is just the arrogance and indifference of a large corporation assuming they know best and the customers will just go along with whatever they do).

Good luck, Chief!

Reactions: mikedt
    Upvote 0
    Wow.. Thanks for the info.. They're probably getting a subsidy to provide Governments (aka Big Brother) with data

I know with the China version of the Gear Icon X, Samsung will almost certainly be providing the govt. with full access to their user and tracking data, because it's the law that any companies operating in the PRC must comply with.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Hadron
    Upvote 0
    I guess a dose of Communism doesn't hurt that much does it?:thinking:

Of course Samsung has to comply with a country's laws, and give access to the relevant govt. agencies, things like Chinese PSB, US NSA, British GCHQ, etc.

I just wouldn't use any BT headset the requires proprietary software that must have access to personal data, location, etc, like this Samsung thing apparently, that @The_Chief is reporting.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    Sure, Samsung have to comply with the laws of the country they are operating in, which also means that if the Feds or whoever can legally require Samsung to hand over any data there's no need for them to pay anything. And conversely one, relatively expensive, brand of headphones is going to give information on so few people that I don't see it being worth the authorities incentivising them to add this function, especially since it will only tell them your location if the headphones are connected and the phone itself can provide a location history anyway without the headphones. That's why I think that a governmental incentive is unlikely to be involved, it's just too ineffectual to be worth it.

But I'm sure Samsung can use information on where you use the headphones, so the question of whether making this a condition of using them at all is accidental (the "unthinking arrogance" theory) or deliberate on their part does seem a valid one.

Upvote 0
    I GIVE UP.

Sure, I could take Samsung to arbitration over the mandatory app with the mandatory location permission. But then I started thinking about the questions that I would be asked, starting with "does your Samsung mobile phone have GPS turned on? Do you allow the location permission on any of the apps on your phone?" And I would say "yes" to both and arbitration would end. What's the big deal, really, with another app, from the same manufacturer as my phone, knowing where I am? They, and Google, already know more about me than I do!

So I will use the Gear IconX, happily embracing Big Brother. And I'll walk in the store one day soon and my earbuds will say "I see you're in Food Lion, and condensed milk is on your shopping list. Turn to the right, go down aisle 5 and it's halfway down, on the right, bottom shelf." And I will smile as I purchase it with Samsung Pay...

:p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones