• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung just handed all their competitors an opportunity

I do not know how long you have been using mobile phone and how many you have had yourself, but I can assure you, that GPS issues on Galaxy S were not present on S2 or S3.

You are just over-generalizing on issues. Those issues have happened to all manufacturers. I have had quite a few phones in the last decade or so and have had a fair share of issues. Stating that all Samsung Galaxy phones have GPS problems because there was a problem on the original one is a bit unfair.

I have never seen any major problems with reception on Samsung either. I have seen Apple ship free edge cases when they screwed up iPhone antennas. I have seen other issues on many phones too, just do not over-generalize as that does not work well in any area of life.

You need to read the forums, as there are many about GPS problems on the S3, and also about dropping calls. I didn't say all of them, but there are enough of them to warrant complaints being posted.
And, I have had many phones, Android and IOS, for whatever that is worth. It seems to make a difference to you.
It seems like you need to follow your own advice about over-generalization, as you said that I said that ALL Galaxy phones had a GPS problem. Reading comprehension is important.
Have a blessed day.

Upvote 0
Ok - let's play nice, no need to start getting all personal up in here.

Here's a fact - despite common model names, there were many variations of the SGS2 (that thing used every top-end SoC main processor), of the SGS3 (two different processors there) - and both had a plethora of different radio transceivers put on-board.

So yes/no to SGS2/3 on radio/GPS is like saying - "I can prove that people don't like cheese."

Everyone's mileage varies on this, everyone's experiences are valid.

But to say no issues for any phone model by any user on any carrier?

I've never met such a phone myself.

And yeah - depending on the variation and model, many have complained about SGS2 and SGS3 models. And have switched to HTC as the superior phone.

By the exact same token, many have had those problems on HTCs and switched to a Samsung model as the superior phone.

People do not like cheese.

Some people do not like cheese.

All square on this now?

Cheers, thanks for working with me on this. :)

Reactions: RichSz and Slug
Upvote 0
I agree there are no apparent GPS issues with the S3, but the 3G radio is pretty crummy. Ditto on the 4G signal being lost and defaulting to 3G, even in good signal 4G areas. I have to use Open Signal to regain 4G. This could be more a firmware issue, since is happens more since the last update.......

........... beercheese is good.

Upvote 0
I agree there are no apparent GPS issues with the S3, but the 3G radio is pretty crummy. Ditto on the 4G signal being lost and defaulting to 3G, even in good signal 4G areas. I have to use Open Signal to regain 4G. This could be more a firmware issue, since is happens more since the last update.......

Verizon correct? Just checking.

My experience with both the Galaxy Nexus, and Galaxy S3, is that at least on Verizon, their radios are not as capable as HTC's or Motorola's. But until we see what's going on, we can't automatically bestow the same dubious honor on the S4. Maybe they will fix it.

Upvote 0
Based on the feedback from our HTC One owners in UK who also have the iPhone 5, the One is faster, has a longer lasting battery and is absolutely on par with the iP5 on build quality.

As my statements are based on feedback from actual owners, and because the SGS4 is even faster, I think I'm far more real than you give me credit for. :)

I am one of the UK iPhone 5 / HTC One owners Earlymon refers to above and have posted prolifically on here about the incredibly positive experience I have had with my new HTC One in the time I have had it. I also have an SGS2 and had an SGS3, which brings me on to Rushmore's point above.

I had the S3 for about two months and every day was torture. It had awful radio signal reception and I had GPS problems with mine ('Day one' phone, UK, locked to Vodafone) so much so that I got rid of it the day the iPhone 5 was released. My S2 however has been functioning perfectly since I got it but it is now getting a bit tired and worn, hence the new HTC One to replace it. However, the S2 has hardly missed a beat since I got it.

Funnily enough, I was going to hold off on buying the HTC until the SGS4 was released but just couldn't. As Earlymon said above, the HTC is far and away superior to the iPhone 5 in my opinion (remember, just my opinion, not stating facts). I believe it has a better screen, better camera for my uses, equally as good build quality, it is faster and the battery life is far and away superior (just check my posts in the 'battery life' thread and the 'reviews from actual owners' thread here on the HTC One forum for my thoughts and opinions).

However, Vodafone are doing a deal where I can extend my contract back to the full 24 months and they will knock 70% off the termination fee and give me a new S4, so I am thinking of doing that and running the S4 alongside the HTC One for a while for comparisons and then selling whichever one I consider to be inferior. Whichever one I consider to be inferior though will still be one heck of a phone and knock pretty much anything else on the market out of the water.

Oh and I love cheese.

Reactions: Abird!
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones