• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung keyboard keeps overriding Swift..

Swiftkey had something on their website about there being an issue with Samsung phones that reset the default keyboard from keyboards purchased in the market to the samsung keyboard on reboots. This is because of permissions issues I believe. Is that what you're having problems with?

Or is it resetting the default keyboard even without rebooting?

Upvote 0
Swiftkey had something on their website about there being an issue with Samsung phones that reset the default keyboard from keyboards purchased in the market to the samsung keyboard on reboots. This is because of permissions issues I believe. Is that what you're having problems with?

Or is it resetting the default keyboard even without rebooting?

The purchased apps go into the /sbin/ folder and the os can't access it really enough in the boot process to make SwiftKey active, freezing the Samsung keyboard works because with it frozen there is no other alternative but SwiftKey, eventually, once the os can access /sbin, after a few seconds from reaching the homescreen.
Or something like that anyway.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
So you have to either freeze the stock keyboard or move the downloaded one to system so the only solution is rooting? How about Tasker, could that be used to change keyboard as soon as the phone boots?
I dont remember having this problem with ICS :thinking:

It's only with the paid version. If they stepped the paid for code or of SwiftKey and used a separate app to unlock the features, like many do, (power amp, aqua mail etc) then the main Swiftkey app wouldn't be in /sbin and default prefs would stick on reboot. ;)

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
I don't understand the fuss: I am not rooted and have been using Swiftkey since I got this phone w/o any problems. Tried Google but preferred Swiftkey.

JM

The problem I and many others were having was that if you rebooted the phone it defaulted back to the Samsung keyboard. I didn't have the patience to keep switching it back so I just stopped using swiftkey. After the 4.3 update I have started using it again.

Upvote 0
The problem I and many others were having was that if you rebooted the phone it defaulted back to the Samsung keyboard. I didn't have the patience to keep switching it back so I just stopped using swiftkey. After the 4.3 update I have started using it again.

I had this exact problem since updating to 4.1 I believe and the upgrade to 4.3 fixed it...yeehah.

Luckily have only had one minor issue with 4.3 so far (knocking on wood) but on the flip side exactly what is the benefit? I am having a hard time recognizing any!

Upvote 0
I had this exact problem since updating to 4.1 I believe and the upgrade to 4.3 fixed it...yeehah.

Luckily have only had one minor issue with 4.3 so far (knocking on wood) but on the flip side exactly what is the benefit? I am having a hard time recognizing any!

I have had issues mainly from waking the device up. A couple of times I have had to pull the battery which I don't recall ever having to do before. Nothing I can't live with for a while though. On the plus side, the phone seems snappier to me. Apart from the wake up issue it seems to be really fast whereas before it sometimes lagged a bit. I haven't found anything else of benefit so far.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones