• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung Kies USB Connection Issue...

I'v been trying to update my firmware on my galaxy s through the kies app today as im running froyo 2.2 and it states there is a upgrade, but everytime I have connected the phone it connects to the phone ok but as soon as the upgrade starts it says lost connection to phone???
Its becoming very frustrating now can anyone help me please?

Kirsty :/

Ive got the same problem, I can use Kies no problem but the moment I click the "Upgrade Now" it just comes up with same message "connection lost"

This is an common problem as Ive searched for the last couple of weeks through the forums of various sites.

One theory is the Internet speed of your Pc/Laptop which could be automatically being stopped by Kies from performing the Upgrade due to the size of the file - (around 435mb)

Another theory is that it may be down to one of the apps you have installed from Market. What appears to have been a successful solution for this is to backup all your phone using something like My Backup/Pro then REMOVE the apps and try again.

As for the first theory of the slow speed connection try a faster line. This is what I will try later today if I can get to my mate's as the only Internet access I have is a 3uk dongle.

Here is a link to a Samsung blog in South Africa where many of the guys have had the same issue and the various fixes they tried and in most cases succeeded (after much trial and error and testing)

Android 2.2 upgrade for Galaxy S - what you need to know | Samsung Blog

Ps) I will post what happens when I try a faster connection and older PC - mine is a new Laptop running Win7 x64 bit.

Upvote 0
Ok so I went to my m8 and first I installed Kies, then hooked up the phone to PC which was an old XP service pack 3 machine. At first it didn't look good as PC came up with some obscure message about 'genuine hardware not recognized it is recommended you quit this action' - which I did then re-connected - all good this time !

Then just to be safe copied all my contacts and music onto this new machine - no probs !

Then selected 'Firmware Upgrade' and 13 minutes later all was done ! NOTHING wiped on phone everything in place contacts, apps, settings (ringtones, calender, music)

Must have tried 30/40 times on my laptop - I have to say that I was bricking myself but so easy in the end !

good luck to all yet to update.

BEN.

Upvote 0
Hi,

I had a similar problem but seem to have fixed it. The firmware upgrade process would start, then hang and a message appear in kies that connection was lost. What worked for me was to go to "settings" ; "wireless and network" ; "usb settings" and change whatever is set there (for me it was kies) to "ask on connection". If you then open kies on your pc, connect and then select kies as the connection method on the handset it connected. If you then go through the firmware upgrade process then it still came up with the connection lost message but no longer hung, downloaded the upgrade then reconnected to the handset and performed the upgrade.

When I connected the handset before the upgrade I did notice that the PC appeared to load new drivers so not sure whether that was the issue. It also did this when I selected mass storage and media player.

Hope this works for you

Upvote 0
When I connect my phone to kies it asks me how to connect... i select kies and it connects fine...then kies tell me that there is new firmware upgrade available and I click upgrade now... as soon as the upgrade starts message appears in lower right corner saying that connection is lost, but it continues to download as everything is OK... but when Kies finishes downloading new firmware, it says connecting in kies upper left corner but it never connects while my phone goes to download mode at the same time and stays that way forever..i have to remove batery to stop it... What should I do??? anybody... :(

Upvote 0
I have 2 samsung galaxy s handsets.One for me and one for the other half. I recently downloaded the new Kies from the samsung website.
I connected my phone and clicked to upgrade it- it asked to back up everything- I chose yes then it started upgrading. 20 mins later all done and fine.
I then connected the second phone. it took a little longer to connect to kies but connected. again I opted for the upgrade and it asked if I wanted to back up before the upgrade. I chose yes again. The program showed it being backed up BUT after a few minutes a message came up saying the usb connection has been stopped/removed.
I tried this a few times and then tried anothe PC in another house with the same results.
Please help dont know whats going wrong

Reactions: itzhakma
Upvote 0
I have downloaded the latest version of kies several times (10) and on both xp and windows 7 on two different pc's, every time I try to update phone kies tells me connection to phone is lost this is using usb2 connection and broadband. Have all but given up with the damn thing, only wish ghe guy from Vodaphone had kept his mouth shut about updates. Any one help.Please xxxxx:thinking:

Upvote 0
I faced same issue The step i did was

1) Un install and reinstall Kies and device drivers.
2) Reboot System
3) Connect Samsung Galaxy S (With SIM and With Full Battery)
4) Exit all Firewalls, Disable Antivirus, Disable any Spyware Detection Programs, Disable Windows Firewall, Disable any internet filtering apps like Blue Coat K9 etc...
5) Do the Firmware update.

After these steps i Got my Sam Galaxy S updated to 2.3.4 . Before following these steps i have Got "CONNECTION TO I9000 LOST" error in Kies everytime i tried to update.

This Worked for me. Let Everyone in this group know whether this worked. Thanks....

Upvote 0
I was so frustrated that I was about to trade my Tab in for an Apple.
Luckily, I tried one more thing :
Connect devise to PC in Kies Mode
Open Kies on your PC
While the program is searching for your devise
Open Control Panel, click on System, click on Hardware, go to Devise manager, click on Portable devises, double click on Devise upgrade driver.
When complete go back to your Kies program and you should be able to see your devise on the Top RHS and connected.
Sounds simple but it worked for me.

Upvote 0
I had the same problem (win7 64bit, Kies 2.0).

My first attempt: starting Kies from a restricted user even with "run as administrator" did not work.

For me the following was the simple solution:
Login as Admin, (disable firewall or allow outbound communication), start Kies, and - sic - got 3 times the UAC message to allow updates.
2 minutes later ... all done perfectly.

Note: Had to update without backing up the contacts (it's a Froyo problem). After the update backup succeeds (including the contacts)

Regards Chris

Upvote 0
hi
can anyone help me i have the samsung galaxy s phone i have used the samsung kies programme twice to update the software in my phone the first time i used it my phone was fine i updated it again using kies a few weeks back now since then i cant connect to the internet on my phone or the android market the only way i can use the internet on my phone is by using my own wi fi connection its really starting to annoy me now i am with 02 and o2 have tried on numerous occasions to put back into my phone my internet setting thinking that might be the problem it wasnt of course they then thought it might be my sim card as my sim card is quite old nearly 5 years old that wasnt the problem i am convinced its the update thats done it from kies as my phone was fine connecting to the internet before the update anyone got any advice as i dont know what else to do tried everything? :(

Upvote 0
what i tried is when i click on start upgrade, it showed me connection to [mobile phone model] lost. then i quickly unplug the usb cable from computer and wait for the notification to get off. right after the notification disappeared, i plug in the usb cable to the computer again and this worked for me. i had successfully upgraded my mobile firmware. i found this solution in other forum. the forum is about galaxy s but my mobile phone is galaxy y. i just try the solution and it worked for me. you guys can try this solution and see whether it helps you guys.

Upvote 0
I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 and when choosing firmware upgrade all goes OK until the download to the phone when it hangs at 0% for HOURS. Samsung support pointed me to get a service agent to fix but checking with them four simple pieces of advice got me upgraded in under 15 minutes.

1. Make sure phone has a reasonable charge i.e. above 75%
2. Remove SIM card and microSD - not needed during the upgrade
3. Clean the connection terminals on the phone with a small brush (they can get oxidised and also just plain dirty). I have an 'air-duster' spray as well
4. Make sure the USB connection is at least USB 2.0. May sound daft but machines that are only a few years old may have USB 1.1. ports on the front and only USB 2.0 at the rear.

Having wasted over 3-4 hours previously I got ICS installed and up and running - just reinserted the microsd and SIM and I was up and running.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones