• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung's response to the iPad 3?

mrgou

Aug 24, 2011
Hi,

Has anybody heard anything about what Samsung's response might be to the iPad 3? Any announcement on a new Galaxy Tab?

The one thing that's always kept me from buying one to keep company to my Galaxy S2 is the absence of an SD card extension slot, so I'm looking forward to a new model that would have one. And if it comes with a double-resolution screen, all the better!

Raph

I think the ipad 3 is mostly hype. After seeing the ipad 3 compared to the ipad 2 there is no noticeable difference. If you want an ipad better to get the ipad 2 and save some money IMO.

If you want an sdcard slot the ipad 3 doesn't have that either. The SG 7+ does come with a sdcard slot. However, the 10.1" does not. How come Samsung does not include all these extra ports that some of the newer tablets have? Simple, because Samsung's design philosophy is to keep it simple an light so that it can be thinner and lighter. THe more ports you have the heavier and bulkier it becomes. That is why the Samsung competes with the ipads because the ipad has a similar design philosophy. And, that is why Samsung has the lightest and thinnest tablets.

And this comes at no loss of functionality because all the functionality those extra ports provide Samsung gives you in the form of an external adapter that allows you hook up whatever usb device you want to it. This means you can hook up an sdcard reader or a HDTV port or a wireless keyboard, etc. But you don't have to carry that extra weight with you wherever you go. And this means a thinner more pleasant ergonomic design.

There is a lot of hype over these newer tablets with all their extra ports and functionality. Seldom do we hear about the downside of these tablets and why Samsung is still better.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones