• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samung to Give more info next week regarding OTA update

Please disregard anything Cuerbo says. As he clearly is a
1. Troll

2. Iphone fanboy

3. bullsh|tter (as i've never hard of someone calling t mobile and getting on a conference call)

Vibrant owns, pure and simple. its not perfect, no phone is and nothing in the world is. Play with all the phones. Nexus 1 is older hardware but still a nice phone. look at it this way, open source publically driven and expanded and very customizeable android operationg system. or Iphone 4 with its locked down os and propriatery accessories and apps. your decision.

keep in mind i've owned both an Iphone 3gs and iphone 4

iagree.gif
troll.gif

Upvote 0
I don't understand either. I'm really starting to think the G2 would have been a better choice... even though it does have a smaller screen and a keyboard...

Yeah the G2 is not that nice at all, I went into the Tmobile store to check it out hearing everyone talking about how loose the screen is on theres.. both display models had really loose screens and they would wiggle just touching them.. The keyboard drops open if you hold it wrong, it really is not very well made and the fact its using a much slower CPU / GPU.. I mean really its seemed like a nexus one with a keyboard.. Imo the Nexus one beats the G2 for sure.. and once we do get 2.2 this month everything will be fine.. I love my vibrant as it is.. 2.2 will just make it even better..

Upvote 0
Before the update if I do a factory rest do I loose the app
s I purchased?

This is just my opinion/rant....When developers send updates (2.2...ect.), they have to consider that the user has things on their phone they probably dont want to loose. When you update windows, do you whipe your hard drive clean of all programs first? I haven't read anything from Samsung, or Tmobile that suggests you factory reset your phone. Seems to me it's somebody's "humble opinion" that you should reset before you update. Unless the update specifically says "Please factory reset your phone before update", I'm not resetting anything!

The applications you purchased are linked to your gmail account. Therefore, you do not have to re-purchase them. Personally, I save all those email reciepts for the applications I purchase...just in case. If you have any issues, call customer service. I purchased a lockscreen application, and it wouldn't download. Customer service took care of the issue. Piece of cake!

Reactions: sam71 and rayn1328
Upvote 0
So now that the GPS update has been released, do they still need to give us an update on 2.2 this week or can they just get away saying here's your GPS update and make no mention of 2.2?

That's what I'm afraid of. I think the majority of us were expecting the GPS fix to be included with the 2.2.... I hope Samsung/Tmo aren't counting on us forgetting about 2.2 just because the GPS is fixed.

Still waiting patiently for my GPS fix.....:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I posted this in another thread...but guys I dont think they ever said they were giving us info on 2.2 this week. I'm pretty sure they just said they were going to give us an "update" about the GPS problem. I assumed they meant a press release type update. But nope, we're getting the real deal! Be happy, people! And unless I'm mistaken and y'all saw something I didn't...dont put words in tmo/samsungs mouths. I'm fairly certain they didn't say anything about releasing 2.2 info this week.

Upvote 0
I posted this in another thread...but guys I dont think they ever said they were giving us info on 2.2 this week. I'm pretty sure they just said they were going to give us an "update" about the GPS problem. I assumed they meant a press release type update. But nope, we're getting the real deal! Be happy, people! And unless I'm mistaken and y'all saw something I didn't...dont put words in tmo/samsungs mouths. I'm fairly certain they didn't say anything about releasing 2.2 info this week.

Yea, that is true all they said was "update" in regards to this week, but we dont want them to go about thinking that we will get detracted by the GPS update so much that they dont even have to mention about Froyo.

Upvote 0
Yea, that is true all they said was "update" in regards to this week, but we dont want them to go about thinking that we will get detracted by the GPS update so much that they dont even have to mention about Froyo.

But that's my point...they never said they'd say anything about froyo this week, did they? So why is everyone all up in arms about it? Unless they did say that and I just missed it.

Upvote 0
Yeah the G2 is not that nice at all, I went into the Tmobile store to check it out hearing everyone talking about how loose the screen is on theres.. both display models had really loose screens and they would wiggle just touching them.. The keyboard drops open if you hold it wrong, it really is not very well made and the fact its using a much slower CPU / GPU.. I mean really its seemed like a nexus one with a keyboard.. Imo the Nexus one beats the G2 for sure.. and once we do get 2.2 this month everything will be fine.. I love my vibrant as it is.. 2.2 will just make it even better..

Has to be hit or miss on the build then. At my local store the hinge was sturdy/solid. And the UI was really fast. I finally understood what Galaxy S owners were referring to about lag. Coming from a rev 32b MyTouch nothing seems laggy to me. But comparing the G2 and Vibrant side-by-side, the G2 beat the Vibrant for responsive UI hands-down. That's not to say I think the Vibrant was slow. I wouldn't complain about it, but there was an obvious difference. Regarding the CPU/GPU, you're half right. The Vibrant has the best mobile GPU right now. But the Scorpion core in the G2's CPU (the Nexus does not have this core, btw) has a better architecture then the Hummingbird (Cortex-A8).

Although the Cortex-A8 and Scorpion cores share many similarities, the Qualcomm design delivers better performance. Both cores support the NEON set of SIMD instructions for integer and single-precision floating-point arithmetic, and the VFP extension for double-precision arithmetic.

The Scorpion core, however, can process SIMD instructions in 128-bit-wide chunks, while the Cortex-A8 is restricted to 64 bits. Scorpion also has a deeper pipeline, which includes VFP commands, while VFP commands are not pipelined in the Cortex-A8.

source

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones