• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Saving a person's number from the contents of a text message

tahn1286

Lurker
Apr 2, 2012
Hey guys! :cool:

So I just had a weird problem with my new AT&T Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket. I'll do my best to explain it clearly.

(Jump to :thinking::thinking: at the bottom if you want a shorter version):

My friend sent me a text message with someone else's cell phone # in the body of the text message. I wanted to save that phone number as a new contact, so I long-pressed the phone number inside the text message to see what options I had. When I did so, an option came up for "Add **********(phone number) to Contacts." I decided to click that option because I thought it would be a faster way to input a new contact.

Although the new contact phone number was stored in my phone somewhere, I wasn't given the opportunity to name that contact. It simply saved the number. This would have been fine, but I am unable to edit that entry now. I can't even find the number when I search my contacts list.

I know that the contact entry is stored somewhere in my phone because the auto-fill feature of my phone pulls up that number whenever I enter the first few digits of it on the keypad of my phone application (stock android app. No 3rd party phone app), and also when I enter the first few digits in the recipients box of a new text message.

So like I said, I am unable to edit this entry in order to add the person's name, and all that shows up is the person's number whenever I get a text message or a call from him. This is a bit annoying. :mad:

I have tried:
1. Searching my contacts list
2. Using the main search function on my phone
3. Googling this issue
4. Perusing various forums for an answer to this.

I have yet to find anyone who has the exact same problem!!

Please help! :D:D

:thinking::thinking:
Shorter Version:
Tried saving a phone number someone sent to me in a text message. Long-pressed the number in the text and selected "Add **********(phone number) to Contacts." Phone saved it but did not allow me to name it. I cannot access that contact entry in order to edit it now. Entry is in the phone somewhere because my phone autofills the rest of the number when I input the first few digits of it on my phone keypad or text message recipients box.

All texts and calls from that person show up only as a phone number, not as a name. Annoyed.
Please help!​
:D

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones