• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Saving Apps from the Market

D

Deleted User

If I understand correctly, if I were to either hard reset my phone (Sprint HTC Hero) or exchange my phone for a new Hero (if my current one was lost, for example), I should be able to sign into the Market using the same ID I am using now and download my paid apps (and not have to pay again).

However, what about the free apps? Are those tied to my ID somehow? I want to keep a list of what apps I have (paid and free). The only way I can think of doing that is to go to My Downloads in the Market and write down the name of each app.

Thanks.

The theory is that the My Downloads section of the Market ought to keep track of everything you have downloaded.

The practice is that I had to hard reset my son's Pulse last night. After resetting, the My Downloads showed all of his downloads. After re-installing the two paid apps he has, the My Downloads then showed only four of his paid apps - the other twenty or so had gone. Not lost either of the paid apps but no record of his free ones.

Doesn't fill me with a great deal of confidence that it will always remember that we bought those two paid apps.

MyBackup apparently backs up data and applications. Have installed the 30day trial but am wary of hard resetting just to try it if I don't know that the Market is going to remember my apps - I have about fifteen paid apps.

Upvote 0
Paid apps stay in the downloads section forever. I've got paid apps that haven't been downloaded in months. You can also view them by logging into Google Checkout.

Non-Paid can be backed up using any number of applications. The catch is, once they are reloaded the Market doesn't know they are on the phone, and thus will not track when there are updates. So after every hard reset, I run aTrackdog every few days to ensure I get all the updates.

Upvote 0
However, what about the free apps? Are those tied to my ID somehow? I want to keep a list of what apps I have (paid and free). The only way I can think of doing that is to go to My Downloads in the Market and write down the name of each app.

There are apps that generate listings of installed apps, like Apps Dragon & App List. Beats writing down. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones