• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Scanner Radio

ImperialJohn

Mar 17, 2011
I just wondered what you recommend as the best Scanner Radio Apps? And do you know if there are any that make use of your mobile phone so that you can scan the area you are in using radio frequencies instead of via internet feed/relay? I believe that mobile phones have the push to talk ability that you have with cb radios as that is what they essentially are, though not many have implemented it in the past in the software?

I use Scanner Radio. It works great.

https://market.android.com/details?...=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwMiwiY29tLnNjYW5uZXJyYWRpbyJd

There is no way to not use an Internet feed to receive these types of radio signals. It is a hardware impediment. For example, a lot of police / fire / ems use 800 MHz frequencies. Some are FM and some are digital (ex: P25). If you want to listen to airplanes, you have to receive around 108 MHz to 134 MHz AM. No phones have the hardware to receive these frequencies. So an Internet feed is the only way you can hear them on your phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones