• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Scanner Radio

I like the app but is there anyway to monitor more than one "radio" or feed at a time? I would like to have it actually scan through a list of favorites and just play when there is something being transmitted. Then have the ability to skip that if I want and move onto the next channel. This would really make it like an actual scanner.

While it's not possible in this app, I also downloaded the app Scanner Buddy. I dont like it as much as Scanner Radio, but you can open the two simultaneously and listen to two different stations. I think the two apps share the same streams, so you should be able to find the same station on each.

Upvote 0
Nope, this isn't possible since the app is actually just playing an MP3 audio stream, you would need a real scanner for that capability.

-- Gordon
I thought Android could play multiple MP3's, sorry.

Couldn't it play the MP3 and if after say x seconds of silence, move onto the next server and play that MP3? If that has x amount (user definable) of silence move to the next. If the MP3 contains audio just play it until x amount of time goes by of silence.

Just some thoughts, thanks for the great program!

Upvote 0
One problem is that the app doesn't know whether or not there is silence, the app is having the built-in media player (used behind-the-scenes) connect, stream, and play the audio on its behalf and neither one really knows when there is no radio traffic.

Oh I thought you could have monitored the volume level, have seen other apps and widgets do it, adding displays and meters etc.. Just thought that could be done and have it change servers if it was considered silence.

I know little of Android development. i:Di

I appreciate you making this for us to begin with, not trying to be a pain. i:)i

Upvote 0
FYI, to be notified whenever I release a new beta version (interim versions between the versions I release in Android Market), follow @ScannerRadio on Twitter, or, if you don't use Twitter, check http://twitter.com/ScannerRadio occasionally.

Below are some of the changes which are contained in the most recent beta:

• Added a new 1x4 "Favorites" widget which contains a button which can be used to change the favorite it's associated with.
  • Changed appearance of dialogs used to configure shortcuts and widgets.
  • Implemented smart caching of directory information to improve directory navigation speed.
  • Modified appearance of the screen used to configure alert settings for individual scanners.
  • Changed font used on button labels on some screens.
  • Added support for being able to exempt scanners from global alert checking.
  • Modified "Adjust Balance" window so that clicking on "Remember" text toggles checkbox setting.

The most recent beta version is at http://bit.ly/scannerradio

-- Gordon

Upvote 0
RadioReference.com is having intermittent outages this evening due to a hardware problem which is preventing people from connecting to the scanners. The symptom is seeing the "Unable to connect" error immediately after selecting a scanner (vs waiting 30-60 seconds for the connection attempt to fail).

I just verified that I'm seeing this myself on my phone. The owner of RadioReference.com is currently working on the problem.

-- Gordon

Upvote 0
One of the two servers RadioReference.com uses to relay audio is currently down. Whenever you select a scanner you're connected to one of the two servers. While that server is down, if you receive an "Unable to connect" error right away, click on the Play button to try connecting again. Keep clicking on Play until the player successfully connects to the server that's up.

-- Gordon

Upvote 0
Yeap there is i just found it, Washington DC Police department, currently 10 listeners.

can anyone tell me if i can listen to dispatch on orangeburg county, south carolina? I am the police chief for the rowesville police dept. which is on oburg county, would be great to hear and respond to calls from home with out killing the battery to my 800 wt

Upvote 0
can anyone tell me if i can listen to dispatch on orangeburg county, south carolina? I am the police chief for the rowesville police dept. which is on oburg county, would be great to hear and respond to calls from home with out killing the battery to my 800 wt
No one in Orangeburg County is currently providing scanner audio for the RadioReference.com web site which means you won't be able to listen to them using the app, perhaps someone in your area will volunteer at some point down the road.

-- Gordon (Scanner Radio developer)

Upvote 0
Gordon I need your help. I installed scanner radio and I enjoy it very much. I used it all the time. There was an incident where a 911 call was made on my phone and now scanner radio does not work, BOTH THE FREE AND PAY VERSION.
Is there anything I can do to fix this

Also, the beta version on twitter lets me connect to chat when the other versions wouldnt et me do either

Upvote 0
Gordon I need your help. I installed scanner radio and I enjoy it very much. I used it all the time. There was an incident where a 911 call was made on my phone and now scanner radio does not work, BOTH THE FREE AND PAY VERSION.
Is there anything I can do to fix this
Try powering your phone off and turning it back on, that should fix the problem.

Also, the beta version on twitter lets me connect to chat when the other versions wouldnt et me do either
What happened when you tried to visit the chat room using the non-beta version?

-- Gordon

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones