• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Scanning all media on sd card... 2-3 times per day

ayar2045

Lurker
Mar 23, 2011
LLN
Hello all,

The last phone I had was an old nokia 1100 and I recently bought a new Samsung Galaxy i5500... so all this is new stuff for me. :eek:

I also bought a SD card with 8 gb capacity the first day, however, I was wondering if it was normal that from time to time (from 2 to 4 times per day), the phone started to scan for media on sd card. I get this message:

Media Scanning...
Scanning all media on SD card...

Then, it vanishes out and everything just keeps going normal... sorry but I couldn't get any information related to this.

Is that normal? :thinking:

Thank you in advance,

It must be something specific to that phone or an app you have on it. This doesn't normally happen, and only scans when it mounts the SD card, or if an app requests it.

Its probably a feature to make sure all media in its library is up to date with whats on the SD card. Sometimes I add music to my phone over FTP, and the media player doesn't see it until I use the MediaScan app.

If its not causing the phone to act up or anything, you don't have anything to worry about.

Reactions: ayar2045
Upvote 0
Thank you for the reply.

Ok, I thought that that would only happen if there was a bad connection between the SD card and the phone, but your message relieves me... by the way, do you know a way to enlist the apps having access to the SD card? I could check one by one, but that would take some time.

Thank you, have a nice day.

Upvote 0
I bought my phone recently as well in Belgium and I have the same problem. (Aldi)
Only annoying thing about it is the beeps.

I hope the official 2.2 update comes soon. I want to use my phone as a gps, but the software only works on 2.2 and higher.

edit: Coincidentally just found the option to turn off the sound notification for SD card warnings in the sound settings.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones