• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Sch-s960l Wi-Fi tether issues

SicFreak

The Message is SIC!
Jan 1, 2012
Pekin IL
www.dollarbaits.com
I have yet to be able to run Wi-Fi tether on my s3. I've tried wireless tether for root users (yes my phone is rooted) and foxfi, and haven't gotten either to work. Any suggestions to get this working, as I could really use it for my laptop while at work and on the bus, as well as for my tablet.

With this being the straight talk sprint version I am unsure where to post so if it needs moved please feel free to move it.

I currently have the Wi-Fi tether app installed on my ST S3 and it does work.

BUT.... there is a catch.
I have the 3.2-beta2-modv5 **synergized** version installed (TrevE Mod)??
maybe that's the current one or not, I'm not sure.

Second, I had to Jack with the settings for a while to get it to work correctly.
To turn ON the WIFI tether, I needed to set the Setup method to 'Hostapd(master)'

This works for allow other devices to tether to your phone and providing internet access.
The problem is when you turn it off, your regular wifi doesn't come back on.

To fix this either you can do a reboot on the phone or..
change the setup-method to 'Netd (master)' and choose 'wifi driver reload 2', then turn on and OFF the tether program.

This will force your wifi drivers to reload after you turn off the tether program and wifi wil work again.

At least that's what I remember. I haven't found the need to use it much lately.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones