• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Screen issues after 3.2.2 update

Hello everyone. Well since my last post I have been waiting and waiting for another screen blackout to report back but it does not seem to be happening to me anymore on the 2.3.3 phone. Hate fixing something and not knowing how or what I did to fix it lol But I have a new problem now but its unrelated so Im gonna make a new post about it.

It only happens sporadically for me on the custom ROM... I posted a flashable zip for testing but noone's testing...

I'm finishing up the last items on my custom ROM and I'm moving back to the Galaxy S2 forums. ;)

Upvote 0
Had this problem too, but there's a way to fix it: If the screen goes blank but the buttons light up, hold down the power/hang up button for about a minute until you see the screen flash, then let go of the button, wait three seconds, and then press-and-release any button (except the camera button). You should get the swipe-to-unlock screen (or the security screen if you have a security-unlock code enabled). This will not reboot the phone.

If you had a Bluetooth headset paired & connected before the screen went blank and froze, you may have to manually disconnect and then re-connect to get the headset to work again. Depends on the headset.

Upvote 0
Had this problem too, but there's a way to fix it: If the screen goes blank but the buttons light up, hold down the power/hang up button for about a minute until you see the screen flash, then let go of the button, wait three seconds, and then press-and-release any button (except the camera button). You should get the swipe-to-unlock screen (or the security screen if you have a security-unlock code enabled). This will not reboot the phone.

If you had a Bluetooth headset paired & connected before the screen went blank and froze, you may have to manually disconnect and then re-connect to get the headset to work again. Depends on the headset.

Thanks TheSarge for the workaround, I never got the black screen enough to test anything.

Upvote 0
Turning Wi-fi off when your phone goes to sleep can be done by going to wi-fi settings then choosing Advanced from the menu button and adjusting the Wifi sleep policy.

Here are some updates on my experience with this black screen issue:

Setting the wifi sleep policy to turn off when the phone sleeps consistently prevents the black screen issue for me.

However, since I often need wifi on all the time it is not a good workaround for me. So far I have noticed that on occasion I can keep wifi always on for a day or so with no black screen but then somehow the problem reappears and then I go back to almost consistently having the black screen problem whenever the phone goes to sleep. I have not yet been able to determine what conditions cause the problem to go away or what causes it to come back but I am still investigating.

When the problem does occur I have not been able to get TheSarge's non-reboot fix to work (the phone never flashes after holding the power button for over 2 min), however what I have found works for me is
1) Hold down the power button for 2 seconds
2) Open the slider
3) Press the direction pad down at least 4 times
4) Press OK
5) Press OK again
After a couple of seconds the phone should reboot.

This helps me avoid having to do a battery-pull which is a pain for me since I have case for my phone that gets looser the more you take it off and put it on.

Also, as Karendar mentioned a few posts back, i've confirmed that if you shine a flash light on the black screen you can actually see the lock screen.

Upvote 0

Once again, the instant I brag about not having a black screen in a while, it happens immediately.

I tried this workaround and had no luck. I'll try again when it happens next.

Upvote 0
I'm convinced that this problem is related to wifi. With wifi on, my wifes phone has the black screen problem many times a day but with wifi turned off it does not happen.

Yes it is in fact related to Wifi... LG actually have a support case opened for it, but it'll idle for a few years before it's fixed I'm sure.

Complain to Telus, maybe it'll make things move... I can't do it myself because I don't even have a service with them, just bought the phone used and unlocked it.

Upvote 0
i updated my phone last week and i was happy for the first 5 minutes but then i got extremely pissed when my phone lost WiFi , then i locked it. i went to unlock, and nothing would happen. i was fooling around with some settings and i found out that if you turn WiFi off the black screen problem goes away completely, but because i don't have a data plan, and there's no internet, it defeats the purpose of having a smart phone. at least i can still make calls and text...

Upvote 0
I'm convinced that this problem is related to wifi. With wifi on, my wifes phone has the black screen problem many times a day but with wifi turned off it does not happen.

On my phone, it always happen when I am using the Market app. The app with the new look on Android 2.3 is slow to start, most of the times it won't download apps unless you turn off the screen and turn it back on and worst of all, suddenly the wi-fi goes out and IF you turn off the screen, then the phone hangs and you must reboot. When I see that the wi-fi has just disconnected, I turn off the phone with the power button and restart it. Saves having to pull the battery but is still very annoying:(.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones