• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Screen not turning off during call

skydiverMN

Jul 5, 2011
My family has 2 Motorola Atrix phones. On one of them the screen turns off when brought to the face for a phonecall. The other, does not turn off during a call, and this causes all sorts of problems (accidently ending call, mute, etc.). The screen turn-off feature needs to be enabled as there'd be no reason to turn it off, unless done by accident. What setting am I looking for to make the phone turn off during a call? Or is there something wrong with the phone?

Thanks!

SkydiverMN
:D

My family has 2 Motorola Atrix phones. On one of them the screen turns off when brought to the face for a phonecall. The other, does not turn off during a call, and this causes all sorts of problems (accidently ending call, mute, etc.). The screen turn-off feature needs to be enabled as there'd be no reason to turn it off, unless done by accident. What setting am I looking for to make the phone turn off during a call? Or is there something wrong with the phone?

Thanks!

SkydiverMN
:D

Sounds like a proximity sensor problem. Does the phone have a case on it? If so, try to make sure the case isn't covering the sensor. Also, I've heard that some screen protectors can cause issues with them as well. Otherwise, you might have a hardware problem with the sensor itself.

I believe the sensor on the Atrix is above and to the right of the "A" in Motorola. You should see two sensors. One is an ambient light sensor and the other is a proximity sensor. They're only maybe 2mm in diameter and you might need some bright light to see them.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones