• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Screen split in half after unlock?

lightsout

May 16, 2010
Anyone else noticing this? On my wife's phone a lot of the time when she unlocks it, the screen will be duplicated twice, on top of each other.

Like she will have two small home screens stacked on top of each other. Locking and unlocking usually fixes it. But its getting kind of annoying.

I've had this happen at least a couple times a week and I"m totally stock. I've also had it go crazy and start jumping around. I've also seen it go to straight blue screen. Like you, I turn off and back on the screen and it's fine. I figure I'll be told to wipe the phone and I'm not interested in that.

I also have these issues (split screen, blue screen, etc.). It first presented itself about a week after I got it, on Thanksgiving no less. For the most part it happened pretty intermittently, like once every week to 2 weeks, so I didn't really see the need to resolve it. I had to do a factory reset (for another issue) about a couple months ago. It did not resolve the issue. I contacted HTC about it and they said they would look into it. A few days later I got an email about possible solutions. They were to recalibrate the G-sensor, do a soft reset (pull the battery for at least a minute), & check and see if a task killer was installed and behaving erratically. No help with any of their suggestions. Around that time I actually had it happen three days in a row, but then only a couple of times since that.

There are a couple of other threads on this subject here in AF. One was postulating that maybe a rogue app was doing it. The only issue with that is if you did a factory reset and then slowly started adding apps back on, that it could take months to narrow it down due to how randomly it happens. I was going to swap my phone out but have decided to wait for the ICS update. The reason being maybe the OS on some phones had some garbage/fragmented data in it, and maybe a fresh install will solve the issue. Mostly I'm worried about going to a replacment phone, which may not have the same issue, but could have different issue(s) that are worse than this one. At least with this I know what I've got, which so far this is the only issue.

The only other thing I can think it could possibly be is leaving the phone on for long periods. I never used to leave my phone on for long periods without cycling power (by long periods I mean days to weeks) before the Rezound. Usually I leave the phone on constantly and throw it on the charger when it gets low. On my previous phones the longest I left them on was maybe 2 days before cycling power or shutting them off to charge. I'm wondering if maybe that is what could be causing the issue, similar to when you leave your computer on for to long and after awhile programs stop running correctly or start running sluggishly due to the system resources running low. I started cycling power on the phone every few days about a week ago and so far have not seen it happen again, but like I said earlier since the issue is so random and sometimes doesn't happen for a few weeks, it's hard to say that's what it is.

Sorry this got so long, but hoping maybe this will cause a Doh! moment in somone and we can find the cause for this. I'll let you know if after a month if cycling every few days seems to solve the issue or not.

Upvote 0
Well, you can add me to the list of folks who've been experiencing this problem. Like the others, it happens randomly and only about once a week. I too will wait for the ICS update and see if it does the trick. (Running stock now, but considering rooting due to extreme amount of bloatware). Curious to know if anyone getting the split screen is running a custom ROM or if its only affecting stock users.

Upvote 0
Well, you can add me to the list of folks who've been experiencing this problem. Like the others, it happens randomly and only about once a week. I too will wait for the ICS update and see if it does the trick. (Running stock now, but considering rooting due to extreme amount of bloatware). Curious to know if anyone getting the split screen is running a custom ROM or if its only affecting stock users.

Stock Gingerbread here. Waiting somewhat patiently for ICS.

Upvote 0
Well, my patience ran out and I installed Scott's CleanROM on Monday. First off, the ROM is awesome and encourage anyone to give it a try. Sadly though, I just experienced the split screen problem again. So, does this mean It's definitely a hardware problem? Should I bring it back to VZ and ask for a replacement?

Upvote 0
Well, my patience ran out and I installed Scott's CleanROM on Monday. First off, the ROM is awesome and encourage anyone to give it a try. Sadly though, I just experienced the split screen problem again. So, does this mean It's definitely a hardware problem? Should I bring it back to VZ and ask for a replacement?

That certainly sounds like that's the case. My reason for waiting on the ICS update was hoping that maybe the phones having the issue had a Gingerbread build that had some garbage data or was partially corrupted. Since I'm stock I'm kinda unfamiliar with the ROM you're talking about. I assume its ICS based, so if it was created using the leaked builds and you're having the issue, the update probably won't make a difference. I'll probably still wait (holding out hope I know) since I'm not jazzed about setting up my phone from scratch again, let alone possibly getting one with different issues. I may just let it go since its not hard to bring it out of it, I just worry that at some point it won't come out of it.

Upvote 0
A week and a half ago I touched my contacts button and it launched my messages. Tried my messages and it gave my my email. WTF? So I backed up and did a Fac reset. Then I set my the phone up again. The next morning I got the split screen. I went to Verizon last wednesday and they said it was a software problem. Got the new, refurb ( of course) on friday. I popped in the cards and battery, cranked it up and within a minute of it coming up it froze. Wouldn't do anything. Swapped stuff back to mine and went camping. Today I tried again. When i turned a picture sideways it didn't move. Sorry I can't think of the thing that turns it but that was it. Called V and sent it back today. After the 3 Tbolts and now this crap, I have to say I'm really wondering if I should even stick with an android. While there's many things ya can't do with a Crapple, the damn thing works. My girlfriend has a 3, not even a new one and she can pull a utube vid almost instantly and mine is still loading. Her phone doesn't lag and works very well. With that said, I'll be looking at a 5 whenever it comes out and may consider switching. Trust me, I'd hate myself for doing it, but damn, I just want a phone that works for more than 6 months.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones