• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Screen Unresponsive When on Charger

ejchis

May 12, 2010
MI
Has anyone else experienced this? I have a third-party micro-USB charger that I bought in an airport once for my Tour. When I plug it into my EVO, the screen becomes unresponsive. I'm not using the charger for now. Is this charger potentially causing damage to my phone?

Has anyone else experienced this? I have a third-party micro-USB charger that I bought in an airport once for my Tour. When I plug it into my EVO, the screen becomes unresponsive. I'm not using the charger for now. Is this charger potentially causing damage to my phone?

It seems like it is since your screen becomes unresponsive. That's not suppose to happen.

Upvote 0
I wasn't sure if the phone was just getting a little more juice than normal so it gets sticky or something like that. If there's no harm being done, I'll keep using the charger. It's one that I keep in my living room, and it's handy to have. If it's hurting the phone though, I'll toss it.

Upvote 0
I noticed the same thing, it seems the cheap chargers do that, while the more expensive chargers with better circuitry don't do that.

I bought a couple from Monoprice that do that, while my HTC charger, and my other USB power converters don't. Ohh well. I'll just not use those, as they are probably doing something to the phone ground that is wreaking havoc with the capacitive touch sensor.

Upvote 0
Me, too! I ordered from Fommy the Amzer spare battery charger which includes usb output for simultaneous charging of the Evo... Plugged in to this thing, my Evo is unresponsive!!! Grr! Plugged in my stock HTC charger, no problems! I'm pretty upset with Amzer and Fommy. I'm inclined to agree with the "cheap" diagnosis. Beware, Evo owners!

Upvote 0
This happened to me with my Palm Pre. I bought a crappy third party charger from a booth in the mall and whenever the phone was plugged in I would hit the touch screen and it would just be completely responsive and it would act like I hit it 10 times.

I bought a better charger and the issue went away.

Upvote 0

100% crappy charger. Had an Amazon knock off for my hero and the screen was unresponsive and phone acted wierd. Immediately chucked the charger and never saw the behavior again.

Upvote 0

I use the BlackBerry micro USB charger that came with my old Tour. Yeah, I know it's slower charge, but the USB cable that comes with the Evo just isn't long enough for my set-up. I also use the BlackBerry micro USB charge in my car. I figured if I already have it, why not use it? No problems charging or operating with either.

Upvote 0
I don't think it's the charger. I think it could be related to bugs in the software.

My replacement does this as well. I even noticed it in while playing with the store's demo while waiting for my replacement unit. I doubt those are hooked up to a generic charger. My screen is glitchy on the HTC charger.

Download TouchTest from the market and use on and off of the charge to see what I mean. My screen stutters while using it.

Hopefully the coming updates will fix this.

Upvote 0
My old Hero I gave to my mom did this since I got it... both on the charger it came with, and any 'third party' (cheapo ones) chargers I used. My Evo does it as well, I just assumed it was normal by now. I still don't fret, my old Hero is running just as good as the day I got it, and my mom doesn't seem to care either.

Honestly, I wouldn't sweat it. Probably software bugs like others are saying. No damage to the phone would happen I would think, unless it was pumping some ridiculous amounts of power into the phone.

Upvote 0

Using HTC charger (in hotel) my screen gets funky.

Usually can't hold to select character on key, hit one key, does something else.

When I unplug, all is well.

So yes, not sure what's going on. Hadn't noticed it until recently.

Will try another charger.

But this may go to prove there are issues with the charging port - I will be posting an updated video regarding broken charging port and/or HTC EVO Chargers are the root cause.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones