• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Screen Waking While Charging???

ScorpDX

Android Expert
Feb 7, 2010
Dallas/Fort Worth
I'm curious if anyone has noticed the phone and/or screen waking up during charging. It's not a full "wakeup" as if I hit the power button. But rather the 20 seconds or so that it comes on when you put the phone on or take it off the charger. I've got the battery status widget and I've noticed that it happens everytime at either 95% or 96% status. No other % and only once.

I though maybe my charger had an intermittent short, but I'm off for the holiday weekend and noticed it for the third time in the last two days all while sitting perfectly still with no one near it.

Just wondered if anyone else has noticed it waking up while charging for no apparent reason...

Mine is as well... it crapped out on me while browsing random tech videos on you tube.... just happened to finish reading this, look at my phone, and watch it blink on for just the amount of time you said. Chance, or luck, or DESTINY. That's annoying.... not as bad as the Moment though, where it wakes up indefinitely until you turn off the screen once it's done charging. THAT was annoying when I had it, waking up to a blindingly bright white and blue light shining on the ceiling and into my sleep. >.>

Upvote 0
I just noticed this today while charging the phone, but, when the screen come on, I didn't touch it or anything, was just charging there on my desk, I noticed the battery icon that has the lighting bolt showing it's charging, was just green, no bolt showing it's charging, but the orange light was still on, so then the screen goes black, about a minute later, again, on it's own, the screen comes on again, now I see the blot showing it's charging via the battery icon, and again, on it's own, after a minute, screen goes off.. Never saw it do this before, and wonder why it's doing it.. Hope it's not a sign of something bad coming, :)

Is that the same you guy's experienced?

Upvote 0
I just noticed this today while charging the phone, but, when the screen come on, I didn't touch it or anything, was just charging there on my desk, I noticed the battery icon that has the lighting bolt showing it's charging, was just green, no bolt showing it's charging, but the orange light was still on, so then the screen goes black, about a minute later, again, on it's own, the screen comes on again, now I see the blot showing it's charging via the battery icon, and again, on it's own, after a minute, screen goes off.. Never saw it do this before, and wonder why it's doing it.. Hope it's not a sign of something bad coming, :)

Is that the same you guy's experienced?
i just noticed the exact same problem. and even though it says is done charging, the status light is still orange. i dont get it. i wonder what it is

Upvote 0
the only time ive ever NOTICED it was using the stock cable plugged into the computer. it might have happend other times but i didnt notice.

it started happening yesterday, i turned it off and on and it didnt do anything to help stop it (i thought it might because this only started after the very first time i turned it off and on)

today it happened at 61% and only once. yesterday it happened when it was fully charged. first time it "woke up" battery was full and no bolt through it. it "woke up" a minute or two later for the second time and bolt was back.

Upvote 0
well lets try to get to the bottom of this. my phone is unrooted and has no launchers. everything ive done to it that i still have:

APPS/MARKET WIDGETS:
Alarm Clock Plus V2
Backgrounds
LED Light
Music Wizard
RingTone
Battery Droid (widget)

oh! and today it "woke up" and the battery widget said it was 106 degrees F

hope we can figure this out. and if anyone has any similarities to my list please do tell.

Upvote 0
I didn't notice this yesterday on my phone when charging via USB. I do think, however, it does this when charging via AC overnight using an LG charger.

I did notice something before I rooted. I run SystemPanel non-stop, and when the phone got to ~95% CPU use while plugged in, the CPU would skyrocket to 100% and stay there till I unplugged the phone. As soon as I unplugged it, everything went back to normal. I don't remember if the screen was turning itself on or not as this was a while ago.

I've since rooted and I don't see the CPU issue any more, but I do know the phone screen comes on sometime during the night using the Fresh 1.0.1 ROM and the FPS unlock Kernel.

EDIT: More info:
-My apps: http://www.appbrain.com/user/kamikazekyle/apps-on-the-pc36100 (no longer have Last.FM btw)
-Phone is set to have screen on when connected via USB. It will power off if I press the sleep/power button.
-Once the phone screen turns on after being turned off, if I press the sleep/power button the screen stays off for the remainder.
-Doesn't seem to happen when connected to my computer via USB, but did happen the other night when using a car/wall charger combo. The phone indicated USB charging in that case. When plugged into my wall charger it indicates AC.

Upvote 0
EDIT: More info:
-My apps: http://www.appbrain.com/user/kamikazekyle/apps-on-the-pc36100 (no longer have Last.FM btw)
you have some of the apps i listed. and looking at that list made me remember i had "JuicePloter" for a couple minutes, then i decided i didnt like it and uninstalled it

-Phone is set to have screen on when connected via USB. It will power off if I press the sleep/power button.
-Once the phone screen turns on after being turned off, if I press the sleep/power button the screen stays off for the remainder.
-Doesn't seem to happen when connected to my computer via USB, but did happen the other night when using a car/wall charger combo. The phone indicated USB charging in that case. When plugged into my wall charger it indicates AC.
im confused, are you saying your problem is the screen turning on as soon as you plug it in or that the screen will randomly turn on in the middle of charging?

Upvote 0
It was fairly random. Usually when I manually turned the screen off after first plugging it in, it'd say off till it was fully charged (give or take), then the screen would come back on. But, it didn't do this via my computer. It did do it via a wall charger that showed up in the battery info as "USB" instead of AC. So, yea, totally random. When it *did* cut on, it stayed on until I manually powered it off, probably due to my USB debug setting to keep the screen on when charging.

I noticed last night that my screen didn't turn on at all (that or I turned it off again in my sleep). But, I did four things to the phone that evening:
1. Uninstalled Juice Plotter (Never used it)
2. Installed SetCPU and configured profiles for screen off and charging/full
3. Migrated to a new SD card
4. Rebooted the phone just before I went to sleep.

I completely forgot about trying to test the screen on/off issue, otherwise I probably would have slowly tested over a few days (bad habit of mine).

Since we both have JuicePlotter, maybe that might be a semi-common thread? I do know that my profile for SetCPU (setting the phone to max performance and clock speed while fully charged) kept my awake time equal to my on time, but the screen never woke up.

Upvote 0
I'm chalking this up as something totally random. I can't find any rhyme or reason to it. After I posted my last update, I never had the screen turn on again. I haven't really done any major changes since then, so I'm at a loss. I"m sure I could probably find something digging through the logs, but I'm not familiar enough yet with Android at the raw OS level to be confident in my findings.

Upvote 0
I started having this problem, mostly with my new EVO (the one I returned didn't have this problem), so I'm not sure if it's an app I have installed or what. I woke up sometime during the night with the screen on full blast. I turned it off before I fell asleep so something is waking it up and it stays on.

I thought maybe it was Sound Manager since it will turn down my sounds at midnight, but IIRC it woke me up last night at 11:00 with the screen on full blast. Looking at others' apps here, I don't see the same ones I have installed so not sure what app to look for to kill. I've looked at potential apps this may be happening with in the market to read the comments but nothing reported. This is SO annoying. I hope someone can figure out how we can fix this. :mad:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones