• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help SD Card File Locations

How do you guys manage your SD card?
I use mass storage mode to copy files over and stuff.
My question is, is there a specific location I need to set to access videos and pics and custom pic directories for the gallery app to find pics or can I just set up my own directory tree and it will automatically find my directories that store pics, music and videos.

How do you guys manage your SD card?
I use mass storage mode to copy files over and stuff.
My question is, is there a specific location I need to set to access videos and pics and custom pic directories for the gallery app to find pics or can I just set up my own directory tree and it will automatically find my directories that store pics, music and videos.
You have several options. For managing the files on the card or the internal memory, I do the same thing, drag and drop. As for locations, images can be placed in the root, in the dcim camera folder, or you can make a new folder and call it whatever you want like pics or images or videos. The Android OS will usually find all files on the card or in memory and link to them in the gallery app without issue. Videos tend to be a bit more picky, so I just drop them in the dcim folder and that's it.

I put my custom ringtone and alarm mp3's in a "media" folder so the OS finds them and lets me apply them without any hassle. When I copied these over to the Atrix, all I had to do was copy and paste the whole media folder from my Desire to my Atrix, and bingo, my ringers and alarms where there. Easy stuff compared to dinking around with iTunes to get what I want setup on the phone.
:)
The Atrix also comes with a Files manager app that will let you move, edit, delete files directly on the phone, similar to Astro File Manager. So I no longer need Astro. Cool.

Reactions: Sparroo and Roze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones