• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help sd card not recognized, just happened now

icedtea

Android Enthusiast
Jul 20, 2011
wondering what happened. i just waited for my phone to be at 0% to off. charged the phone. . .open it after 10minutes. . then all of a sudden my sdcard is not detected anymore.

i checked the storage setttings, there is an option to mount. i did.. but nothing happend. my ES file explorer still sees the /mnt/SDcard files.. .

but when i open gallery it says NO EXT CARD found.. (including the camera)

when i am in CWM, it reads the sdcard...

tried to remove and get it back ..twice.. but still no luck :(

if you can, copy all of your data off of the card via PC, and format it, if you can get your phone to see the card try to have the phone format it maybe thatll work.

update:

1. when i put the usb cable to phone, Phone memory is NOT detected. SDcard is detected BUT upon clicking it, just return BLANK.. no files seen.

2. tried to place the sdcard in another phone.. (samsung CHAMP2) it reads the card well.. connected it on a PC.. works fine , reads the files.

3. i don't want to think that it's my s2 card slot since i did not dropped or bumped the phone before i charged the battery. . .

4. tried another sdcard to my unit.. ---the 4gig card i used resulted in the same thing..

last resort would be the format of my card. . . :(

1. format my card via the samsung champ phone.. since it reads it well. ----- DONE.. still the same. . . :(

Upvote 0
If a card is read in other devices but not the S2, and the internal storage isn't recognised when connected via USB, then I have to suspect the controller.

In the OP you said

Can you clarify? Did the battery drain to 0%?

hi Slug, yes. I am doing this since I used MIUI/ICS/Paranoid. but it just happend that time. . .

update: from Paranoid 4.1 (where it happend) ---> i upgraded to 4.2 but still the same. . . I was able to restore my ICS 4.0.3 last night. . and sad to say.. here's the current result:

1. upon boot, it will prompt USB storage has a blank FS. .needs to be format.. YES / CANCEL --- just left it on the notification area.. i fear that if I format it, ALL installed apps / ROM will vanished. :(

2. the only storage found in the settings is the 2G system storage.

3. SD card notification -- READY TO REMOVE CARD.. upon opening galley/cam --it says NO SDCARD mounted... the weird thing here is that everytime i boot to recovery using CWM, i can still access the files/folders of my SD card (external mem) -----BUT THE CARD is inserted.

to be honest.. i am a bit being hopeless. . not sure if it can be restored. . :(

4. i formatted the micro-sd card using windows (using another phone) --went good. i have copied the backup files. .. just wondering why my phone cannot recognized both memories now. . .

UPDATE ------

1. tried my EXTERNAL card in Galaxy Y unit.. went good. mounted.
2. tried the EXTERNAL card of galaxy y in my S2 --same issues.. does not mount. --says CARD ready to remove. . .

3. re-formatted my EXT card for the 2nd time. . no change. so seems the phone memory is the one.. hope i can still restore this

do i need to prepare for a new phone? :(

Upvote 0
I had the same issue. Here is the fix: Use a mem card reader for your sd card on a windows machine. Open a command prompt, but run as administrator. At the prompt type: chkdsk x: /r (x: is the letter of the drive your mem card reader happens to be, so it could be g,h,j,d, etc.) and then hit Enter and just let it run it's processes. Once done, just pop the sd card back into your phone and all is well. Enjoy!

Upvote 0
Reminds me of TriangleAway... but in my case, I needed to boot with SDcard completely off. Shutdown my unit, took out SDcard, turn it back on, shut it down again after successful bootup, wait a while before slotting back in the SDcard and starting the phone again. Leaving the SDcard in while a reboot took place didn't made the SDcard visible to the phone for my case.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones