• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

SD Cards, and other Disks/Storage Devices

Works fine as long as you use good brand name cards (watch for fakes) and as external storage only, not formatted as internal or adoptable storage which is a recipe for disaster.
Best to keep the card from being anywhere near full and for safety back up any important stuff that's on it. While following these suggestions makes a failure less likely it's still a more than zero chance so good to be prepared.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I've not used microSD in my devices for a few years now. Had one 32GB Sandisk that I used with my original 2010 HTC Desire that's still working in my old tablet which I gave to my daughter a while back. Had another 32GB Samsung that failed irreparably (master boot record) after 3 months.

I've occasionally used USB flash drives with Android phones, either to transfer files or as external storage for nandroid backups, that's always worked fine. Never used anything that would need an external power supply with one.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones