• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Security Certificate issues

D

Deleted User

When I launch the browser that came with my Amicroe Touch (don't know what the browser is), I am getting a Security Certificate warning from every webpage - Google home page, CNN, everything. It comes up repeatedly (hundreds of times) when I keep clicking Continue.

Is this a virus? Or do I have some wrong settings somewhere? The problem has only started today and I didn't download anything new today.

I don't know if this is related but when I go to Google Play, I get the error message Not Connected (even though I am, and I can browse elsewhere on the web).

When I launch the browser that came with my Amicroe Touch (don't know what the browser is), I am getting a Security Certificate warning from every webpage - Google home page, CNN, everything. It comes up repeatedly (hundreds of times) when I keep clicking Continue.

Is this a virus? Or do I have some wrong settings somewhere? The problem has only started today and I didn't download anything new today.

I don't know if this is related but when I go to Google Play, I get the error message Not Connected (even though I am, and I can browse elsewhere on the web).

Sounds like you aren't having the best "tech" day ever, between this and the game issue in your other thread. You may have to have Sophie give you a hand if we can't fix it here, lol. Seriously though, do you have any other browser installed just to see if you get the same warnings? It could just be an issue that particular browser. If you don't you could try downloading Chrome or FireFox from the Google store and see if you get the same warnings there. At least that will help you rule out it's a dodgy browser!! Good luck Vin.

Upvote 0

May not be malware, are these all HTTPS secure websites? Suggest you first check the date and time are correct, particularly the year. As that's a very common cause of certificate errors. If the date is wrong, it could either think the site's security certificate has expired or hasn't been issued yet.

Upvote 0
You may have to have Sophie give you a hand if we can't fix it here, lol.

She is three and knows more about playing the games than I do, but when things go wrong we're both in the dark. (I'm totally new to Android.)

Okay, I looked around and found the clock solution, and that seems to have worked to get rid of the certificate issue and I can also now get into the Google Play store. (I didn't have it set to automatically detect the time, because when I originally did that, it insisted I was in China.) So the time was wrong, but this time when I set it to auto-detect it knew where I was.

Wrote to the app makers about the other issue...

Upvote 0
She is three and knows more about playing the games than I do, but when things go wrong we're both in the dark. (I'm totally new to Android.)

Okay, I looked around and found the clock solution, and that seems to have worked to get rid of the certificate issue and I can also now get into the Google Play store. (I didn't have it set to automatically detect the time, because when I originally did that, it insisted I was in China.) So the time was wrong, but this time when I set it to auto-detect it knew where I was.

Wrote to the app makers about the other issue...

I'm in China. :D Is this a Chinese tablet? If so the default time-zone is Beijing time(GMT+8, CST). Another thing particularly with budget Chinese devices, they sometimes have no backup for the internal clock, so if the device's battery goes flat it resets to whatever default time and date. Sometimes they reset just by turning them off. Which would certainly cause certificate errors. It would also stop it from connecting to Google Play as well, as that's secure HTTPS.

Upvote 0
It's Amicroe - is that Chinese?
I had to switch it off auto-detect the time because it was auto-detecting Beijing time. I manually set the time, then I guess the battery went flat so it reset to something completely wrong. Now it is correctly auto-detecting the time.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones