• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Seems to be a Catch 22

aszy_wrlk

Lurker
Jul 19, 2014
Good day all. I've retired my faithful EVO 4G mostly because it started becoming cranky. I have a number of apps that are no longer available and I want to move them to my new device. Here's the Catch 22:
It appears that I can not get at the apps unless I root - they are not on the SD card and can't be moved there.
It appears that I can't backup ( NANDroid etc ) with out rooting.
It appears that I can't unlock the bootlocker without erasing all data.

So, basically it appears that I am stuck without any way of getting these apps extracted. I'd love to try rooting, but not with the guarantee of losing all the data. It's no longer a phone, so all internet work will be done via WiFi.

Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
aszy

Thanks Mikestony, for the reply. The apps in question no longer exist ( for various reasons according to their respective developers ) on Play, so even though there is record that I've purchased them, they can not be gotten from the store any longer.
I will certainly look into the tip on Helium. Thanks again.
aszy

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones