• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root SetCPU and GB ROMS??

The basic idea here is that GB is far more aggressive at killing tasks in order to recoup memory for use with other applications than previous versions of Android. At least, this is my understanding of the situation.

As you know, a widget is (usually) constantly trying to update itself so that it can give you the best real time picture of what is going on in that application. If you have lots of services eating up your 'RAM', or else start multi-tasking heavily, GB will try to prioritize what you have running actively - and start killing off the passive stuff one by one.

I know that CM7 and PE5 both have the built in CPU governor, so SetCPU really is not needed, but neither have a widget to show such things on screen. It would be great if someone could add such a feature to either ROM - even adding it to the lockscreen would be of tremendous value (to me, anyway :p). Until that happens, though, you'll probably need to have to refresh your widget manually (if possible - otherwise a complete home restart may be required once the background SetCPU process gets killed and you manually restart it).

I know this was not a 'fix' per se - but I hope you now at least understand *why* it is happening.

Reactions: mahashel
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones