• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root SetCPU Guide

I have a problem trying to overclock...I am using some of the netarchy kernels and whenever I try to move the bar in setcpu past a certain point my phone locks up.

You can't overclock all the way to the max, most of the time. The limit you can get to before it locks up varies based on the each phone and the kernel you're using. Generally speaking, most people can get to about 1152, while some can get to 1190. Very few can get higher than that. Just because a kernel has an allowed max does not mean you can actually run it that fast. Always leave the "set at boot" option disabled until you have overclocked to a stable frequency. Just moving the slider all the way up does not work.

Upvote 0
read an older thread regarding the issues running this with pandora/last.fm/wireless tether/sportypal and pretty much any app that one would want running in screen off mode.

it was an older thread...but, has that issue been solved?

mostly, it was regarding a drop in cpu that affects running apps to the point of uselessness while in screen off profile.

yes, you can certainly manually turn the profile off...
but, as a poster mentioned...that's not particularly convenient while trying to run something in the car. dangerous, even.

some mentioned running parallel task killers...but, that just seems to add to the glut of apps.

ideas? has there already been a solution?

thanks!

Upvote 0
hmm...interesting.

so, i read through the thread.
figured, sure...why not?
i can certainly use the battery savings, right?
sure.
have an evo.
rooted.
stock rom.
i haven't flashed anything onto the phone.
since root i've installed titanium backup, shoot me and wireless tether.
installed setcpu.

now, i didn't disable perflock. why not?
i figured i'd check first if i was able to access/alter the cpu speeds.
i could. all was well.
i started the widget out of curiousity.
set it to show both temps, max and min, and current speeds every 5 seconds. not permanently...just for fun for right now. to "check it out" so to speak.
all was well.
after goofing around w/ the widget...i long pressed the icon and removed it.

THEN...boom. htc sense force closes on me.
odd.
not only that...all of my icons and widgets are gone on all of my screens.

anybody?
explanation?
should i have disabled perflock?
seems to me NOT disabling perflock was never described as being the cause of a FC of sense.

anybody?
thanks!

Upvote 0
not sure what happened. but one thing is that you should not have a whole lot of profiles setup. they can actually create worse battery life becuase it is constantly looking and checking and never really sleeps. also in order to underclock in setcpu you have to disable perflock. if you want to overclock then you need to have a custom kernel.

Upvote 0
not sure what happened. but one thing is that you should not have a whole lot of profiles setup. they can actually create worse battery life becuase it is constantly looking and checking and never really sleeps. also in order to underclock in setcpu you have to disable perflock. if you want to overclock then you need to have a custom kernel.

DANG!!!
i hate it when posters are wrong and could have avoided silly events by RTFM.
well, today...right now...it's me.
had to disable perflock.
i misread/mistook the "current" reading for something else.

what helped, though...was reading the original guide at the dev's site.
i hate to admit it...but, the accompanying images were a huge help.
thanks for the advice.

was only going to set up 1 profile.
screen off...
maybe another for when the battery is down to about 30%.

thanks again!

Upvote 0
Just some info for people that might run into issues using profiles. I've came to the conclusion on the 3 EVO's I've rooted now, that when using Netarchy 4.3.2 HAVS kernels, we get better battery life without running screen off profiles. I had the profile set for 245-384. We've seen about 50% better battery life, before 12hrs max now about 18hrs easily. On my phone I played with the limits of the profile, but didn't have any different results even going up to 652. Also, I haven't had any issue with the clock occasionally locking up like I originally had when waking the phone up, again on all 3 phones.

Upvote 0
Just some info for people that might run into issues using profiles. I've came to the conclusion on the 3 EVO's I've rooted now, that when using Netarchy 4.3.2 HAVS kernels, we get better battery life without running screen off profiles. I had the profile set for 245-384. We've seen about 50% better battery life, before 12hrs max now about 18hrs easily. On my phone I played with the limits of the profile, but didn't have any different results even going up to 652. Also, I haven't had any issue with the clock occasionally locking up like I originally had when waking the phone up, again on all 3 phones.

Does this go for the 2.6.32.27-netarchy-toastmod-4.3.1-cfs-havs-nocbc kernel as well?

Upvote 0
Does this go for the 2.6.32.27-netarchy-toastmod-4.3.1-cfs-havs-nocbc kernel as well?

Just from my experience, running min 245 max 1152 with the Smartass governor has given me very good battery life with netarchy kernels and currently Tiamat kernels(AOSP). You do not need to run profiles with the SA governor as it has alot of the built into it already and they can conflict if you try to use both.

Upvote 0
I would just like to know if anyone has tried 2.6.32.27-netarchy-toastmod-4.3.4-cfs-havs-more-nosbc (More Aggressive HAVS), and if so are you using SetCPU and if so what settings did you go with? I just installed this kernel today to see if I can get some better battery life with it. Currently I have SetCPU disabled.

***UPDATE***

After installing this kernel I had high battery temps and no better battery life than with my previous kernel. I went back to the 4.3.1 and after a full charge my BMW says I have an estimate of 1 day usage.

Upvote 0
I would just like to know if anyone has tried 2.6.32.27-netarchy-toastmod-4.3.4-cfs-havs-more-nosbc (More Aggressive HAVS), and if so are you using SetCPU and if so what settings did you go with? I just installed this kernel today to see if I can get some better battery life with it. Currently I have SetCPU disabled.

***UPDATE***

After installing this kernel I had high battery temps and no better battery life than with my previous kernel. I went back to the 4.3.1 and after a full charge my BMW says I have an estimate of 1 day usage.

When I was running NA kernels on Sense, my settings were as follows:

Governor - Conservative
Min. - 245/Max. - 1152
Screen Off profile - 245/245

Upvote 0
worth noting..any CM7 based rom has these functions built in.. ... oh and there is a new CPU over/under clock app I have been playing with...no frills CPU control.

no profiles ..but I have never used more than screen off anyway.

Good point.

How does this app measure up in comparison to SetCPU? Any other benefits? Or differences outside of interface?

Upvote 0
Anyone know after the most recent Gingerbread flash update business I did why I can't disable perflock using SetCPU?

unfortunately the stock kernel i do not think you can disable perflock yet. once htc releases the code for the stock kernel then you will see custom kernels released and then we can start to over/under clock our phones.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones