• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root SetCPU Guide

unfortunately the stock kernel i do not think you can disable perflock yet. once htc releases the code for the stock kernel then you will see custom kernels released and then we can start to over/under clock our phones.

Really weird; I didn't use the OTA update, and it WAS allowing me to disable before this update so. :p I was waiting to see if it would fix itself with further updates to the app, but nope.

Upvote 0
hmm...interesting.

so, i read through the thread.
figured, sure...why not?
i can certainly use the battery savings, right?
sure.
have an evo.
rooted.
stock rom.
i haven't flashed anything onto the phone.
since root i've installed titanium backup, shoot me and wireless tether.
installed setcpu.

now, i didn't disable perflock. why not?
i figured i'd check first if i was able to access/alter the cpu speeds.
i could. all was well.
i started the widget out of curiousity.
set it to show both temps, max and min, and current speeds every 5 seconds. not permanently...just for fun for right now. to "check it out" so to speak.
all was well.
after goofing around w/ the widget...i long pressed the icon and removed it.

THEN...boom. htc sense force closes on me.
odd.
not only that...all of my icons and widgets are gone on all of my screens.

anybody?
explanation?
should i have disabled perflock?
seems to me NOT disabling perflock was never described as being the cause of a FC of sense.

anybody?
thanks!

Kudos !!
That's the way to give a sequence of events and results ! ! !
Clear and concise !

Upvote 0
Too much information for me, I just wish there's an app where I can just choose, battery life, stock and power. I just bought SetCPU but still do not know how to use and I don't like trying to set things that might break my phone. Hope somone can give me the settings for a whole day's worth of battery with my media player playing about 8 hours between charges. Too much options, and too complicated for me.

Upvote 0
Too much information for me, I just wish there's an app where I can just choose, battery life, stock and power. I just bought SetCPU but still do not know how to use and I don't like trying to set things that might break my phone. Hope somone can give me the settings for a whole day's worth of battery with my media player playing about 8 hours between charges. Too much options, and too complicated for me.

What ROM/Kernel are you currently running? Based on that information I can give you a pretty standard setup, that'll give you decent battery life. I'm not sure if it'll last you the whole day, seeing that you run your media player 8 hrs. of the day, but it will be a step up.

Reactions: atljatl and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
Hi Droid Bionic user here. My Governor choices are: mot_hotplug, hotplug, ondemand, userspace, and performance. This tutorial does not mention the first two. Can anyone explain the benefits or best uses of them?

Well it doesn't explain them because they aren't available to us :p

You'll probably have to ask in the bionic forums for a straight answer as to how they control the CPU

...but Mike's link is pretty good too :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones