• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Setting, App or Util to default to Cell vs WIFI after set period of time

pjw73nh

Oct 15, 2012
Greetings,

Sorry for the confusing title, but I just didn't know what to "term" this. I have an issue and I don't really know how (what terms) to search for it. I am certain it is common to most phones.

I always leave my wifi on. When I come to a place that offers wifi, there is usually a "splash screen" that you have to enter some type of password into either for a disclaimer or for access to the internet.

My issue is that if I am near enough to one of these WAPs, and I don't remember that I am within range of it, my phone defaults to using wifi rather than cell for using email and web. Until such time as I either acknowledge the password/disclaimer or move out of range of the WAP, I will not receive email or be able to access the internet. I understand the premise behind this behavior. IE Use wifi over cell to save on data charges.

So basically what I can tell is, the phone sees a wifi signal, If I have (in the past) connected to this WAP, and entered the correct password/disclaimer, It will "connect" to the WAP, However, it never connects me to the internet. Until I open a browser and accept the disclaimer, I can not access the web or get my email. I have found this out by driving away from a site (out of range of the WAP, the phone reverts back to call), and then I receive emails from hours ago.

This has also happened at sites where there is a WAP online, but for whatever reason, bad cable, ISP down etc the WAP can not access the internet.

Is there an app/utility /setting that I can use that would for example either notify me that internet is available but I have to accept a disclaimer, or perhaps a setting that would revert back to cell mode after x amount of minutes of seeing a WAP signal, but not having internet access?

I hope I haven't confused anyone with this. It's kind of hard to describe.

Thanks.

As said earlier, Tasker would be a great way to go about it. But the app requires some time to figure out. It's extremely complex and capable of automating every aspect of the phone. The downside is steep learning curve.

You can lock cell tower proximity to few meters, and perform all kind of actions based on location, time date etc...even phone state (headset jack in, face down, on the move.. and so on)

There are also other, simpler apps, like:
AutomateIt-Automate Your Droid

Actions Pro

Llama - Location Profiles

Locale

or
Smart Places

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies, but I think I have found the answer. Under SETTINGS | WIFI | ADVANCED there is a "Check For Internet Service" option. This does exactly what I am asking. When the device connects to a wifi network, it will check for internet access. If there is no internet it will present a popup to either recheck, cancel, or ????.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones